UPB HELP!!! Having Problems

scottp73

I am having problems with UPB. I am just starting to change over from Z-Wave to UPB and finding that it might not be worth it for me. I have right now 6 switches and am playing with UPB and what my problem is that Some of my Wall outlets the PIM does not connect to my switches. other outlets do. I have now tried a repeater and still having the same problems. the problem is on the other phase but some outlets on the other phase work just fine. What could be causing this to happen? I have checked for line noise and There is none.

Please help

I have found that UPS's can kill UPB signal significantly.

Here is a thread that talks about UPB signal issues:

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/?showtopic=12073&hl=UPB%20smartups&st=15

Hi Scott,

UPB is a very reliable protocol, but sometimes the right device can totally kill things.

First, which brand switches are you using? And what sort of repeater are you using? Do you have a single breaker panel, or do you have any sub-panels? Are any of the switches off a sub-panel?

I had great signal and reliability with my UPB setup at my last house that was all CFL, had old appliances (100% electric) and had a pool pump... at this house, everything was great until I moved the PIM to where I really wanted it - in the wiring closet.

Simply Automated tech support was great - they showed me some tricks for toubleshooting using Upstart (for starters, do a Comm test and see what you can and can't talk to). They even reviewed the file and suggested a few things. Their next suggestion was accurate but a little tough - they basically asked me to unplug everything in the house and test - then slowly plug things back in and keep testing.

Well - I did that and things never got that great! So one day I screwed with moving breakers around, swapping phases on some circuits, etc - and for a minute made things worse - so I put everything back exactly the way it was - did another test - same as when I started. I was basically giving up, but while I was in the wiring closet, I decided to move a few things around. Without really realizing it, I plugged my DirecTV power injector, the UPS and one other thing into a different power strip (a high end strip that does filtering apparently - I didn't even realize). When I did one more network test - all of a sudden my switches that were unavailable before were now showing 7-13. I had never unplugged those things because the wife/kid were watching TV to stay busy while I tinkered.

During this whole thing I never had any noise except after screwing with the breaker panel and not getting a solid connection on one of the breakers - when I put things back I never saw noise again.

My advice - move the PIM around - see if that helps... in my case I had it plugged into the same source as my noise generator - talk about bad luck! If not, start going around the house and either unplugging things or putting in X10 noise filters and testing things out (just a couple filters - filter out whole power strips or turn things off long enough to test).

I had some noisy CFL bulbs that blocked transmissions to several of my switches in the vicinity.
I programmed the switches with the bulbs off, when they were on it caused a lot of problems.

Back