UPB Upstart stops finding PIM

I also have PL2303 style USB to Serial cables and will test that.

The ch340 driver version is in the picture I posted.  Windows 7 Pro 64 bit found the driver automagically.  It is a 32bit driver.

So I found my HAI PIM and that one is working. Still no good with the SAI PIM's. Also just tried my VRC0P and it won't talk to that either.

What do you mean by the 32bit driver?? It says it's a 64 bit driver right in your picture. How did you set it for 32 or whatever you did?
Are you using HAI or SAI PIM?

The Windows 7 Pro is 64 bit.

Upstart runs in 32 bit mode when installed.

The USB to Serial cable driver is also 32 bit.

I did not install any driver. 

I just plugged in the USB to serial cable and let W7 find the driver on it's own.

32bitdriver.jpg

I have 6 HAI UPB PIMS and 2 SA UPB PIMs.  I leave 4 on line all of the time.

For the HAI UPB PIMs I use two of the HAI HLC RJ to serial connectors and DIYd the rest of them.

I have never connected my Z-Wave VRCOP to a computer.  I just utilized the remote RF device and Homeseer 3 to program it.

Yes now notice the name.

I was just looking that it sat in the 32 bit Windows directory.

It took a couple of minutes for driver to be found.

What driver do you see when you plug in your serial to USB cable?

Will look here for my other serial to usb cables.

Is this the first SA UPB PIM that you have had an issue with?

Just seeing this...  I actually recently put my house for sale and moved 1200 miles away... selling it with the HA system intact, so all my stuff is still there in California working the same as it has for many years.  I'm pretty sure my HA machine was running W7 with those same Aluratek USB adapters.  That said, the last time I needed to buy some, I don't think Aluratek was available, so I bought a couple of these: http://amzn.to/2gPdM7C - they've been working great.  I use them with W7x64, W10, and even my Chromebook - without any issues.

Work2Play said:
Just seeing this...  I actually recently put my house for sale and moved 1200 miles away... selling it with the HA system intact, so all my stuff is still there in California working the same as it has for many years.  I'm pretty sure my HA machine was running W7 with those same Aluratek USB adapters. 
I don't want to change the subject here, but its always very intriguing when I hear the phrase "I actually recently put my house for sale....selling it with the HA system intact."  How did that go? 

A few years ago I sold my house with a "dumbed down" system with security, and a few automated lights and locks.  The people who bought it were a semi tech-savvy well-off couple in their 80's. They called me a few times for info, but I think ultimately they ripped everything out. They only ended up living in the house for maybe 6 months, sold it to another well-off couple, who are in the process TOTALLY gutting the house yet again. So by now, any traces of my home automation is long gone. 

Work2Play said:
Just seeing this...  I actually recently put my house for sale and moved 1200 miles away... selling it with the HA system intact, so all my stuff is still there in California working the same as it has for many years.  I'm pretty sure my HA machine was running W7 with those same Aluratek USB adapters.  That said, the last time I needed to buy some, I don't think Aluratek was available, so I bought a couple of these: http://amzn.to/2gPdM7C - they've been working great.  I use them with W7x64, W10, and even my Chromebook - without any issues.
Ended up buying a similar one to that one that also uses the FTDI chipset and it's working fine so far!

I have several of the PL2303 adapters and they've never failed with communicating with any devices I have.  I actually just ordered a pair of them (used) off ebay yesterday for $7!  I use several of them with my ham radio gear.

@JonW

Curious what you are doing with Ham radio.  Here played a bit in the 1960's-70's and looking to return to it.

New project thoughts here are to miniaturize my NOAA satellite weather mapping to using an RPi2-3 and USB SD radio.

IE: just mounting the POE connected RPi to an indoor attic mounted. 

pete_c said:
@JonW

Curious what you are doing with Ham radio.  Here played a bit in the 1960's-70's and looking to return to it.

I'm a relatively new ham and got started in it to assist with my local CERT group (Community Emergency Response Teams).  After getting involved there, then made the jump to our local RACES group (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services) - which is now my primary volunteer group.

When I started, I thought I'd just get my tech license, but after looking at the sample tests, I already knew most of the material and decided to test straight into a general license.  So far I've just been doing work on 2m/70cm, but recently have got my antenna and related bits to now get setup on HF.

On the 2 meter side, I've been doing some packet data with APRS and Winlink for EMCOMM.  While packet is relatively slow at 1200 baud, it will get the job done for emergency communications.  Overall, I find ham radio very intriguing.  Very much like our early days (and still now) in HA where you need to design and build your own solutions.

ano said:
I don't want to change the subject here, but its always very intriguing when I hear the phrase "I actually recently put my house for sale....selling it with the HA system intact."  How did that go? 

A few years ago I sold my house with a "dumbed down" system with security, and a few automated lights and locks.  The people who bought it were a semi tech-savvy well-off couple in their 80's. They called me a few times for info, but I think ultimately they ripped everything out. They only ended up living in the house for maybe 6 months, sold it to another well-off couple, who are in the process TOTALLY gutting the house yet again. So by now, any traces of my home automation is long gone. 
I'll have to report back once the sale is final.  I got two offers the same day - one couple I knew was pretty intruiged by the HA system, as the showing agent said he spent a lot of time playing with the iPad that we left and spent extra time wherever I had equipment.  The other family who I'm actually under contract with, I haven't met - but I know they expressed that they were happy about the alarm in place and the cameras - and having young kids they'll probably like the concepts, but they didn't seem very tech-savvy, so I won't know until we close and I get to work with them to hand things over.

I told people I'd sell the house with or without the HA, but it wouldn't change the price because it wasn't worth anything to me to keep the used equipment.

Back