UPB Virtual 3-way?

ACNJ

Is it possible to hook a Leviton/HAI master at one end & then an auxiliary in another location without the traditional 3-way wiring between them?
Similar to Insteon set-up where you simply need a feed at both and the load at one or do you need the traveler?
I want to add virtual 3-ways where there is no existing wiring between switches in a retrofit application

Is it possible to hook a Leviton/HAI master at one end & then an auxiliary in another location without the traditional 3-way wiring between them?

Not that I know of.  The UPB Aux switches need wires.

Similar to Insteon set-up where you simply need a feed at both and the load at one or do you need the traveler?

I did this with Insteon and just utilized regular insteon switches for my virtual 3-way stuff (not using the travelers way long time ago).

I want to add virtual 3-ways where there is no existing wiring between switches in a retrofit application.

I do this today with regular UPB switches.  It is easy to do.  It is cheaper to use a traveler and the UPB aux switch. 

Recently here too have gone to dual load multiple paddle switches to reduce the footprint of switches a bit.

ACNJ said:
I want to add virtual 3-ways where there is no existing wiring between switches in a retrofit application
Invest in a full switch at all locations. You won't be sorry. Then ANY UPB switch can control ANY other UPB switch in your house.  You can even make it so a single click controls the local switch and a double click controls another switch.  Very Very flexible. 

ACNJ said:

+1

Install two or more UPB dimmer switches wherever you need them and program them to control the same load. Then you can walk up to any one of these switches and control the same load.

Mike.

Here have one multipaddle UPB switch in the family room. 

One toggle does turn on 4 other UPB switches.  One tap auto dims all of them at 30% and a double tap does 100%.

The kitchen is a mixture of sections of lamps in cans and whatever.  I do the same there with the multiple paddle / dual load UPB switches.

It is convenient as the UPB switches are like little computers that function just fine without a connection to the mothership or automated if I choose.

Originally did start with multiple gang multiple UPB switches which was kind of a busy look such that I reduced the footprint and increased the functionality of the UPB switches over the years.

I have tried to keep it very simple here so that the automation is transparent. My wife is a technophobe
so I work hard to make things intuitive. All of my UPB switches control only their local load at this point
and I only use them to turn things on and off from the Elk. Otherwise they act as dumb switches.

This way I can automate lighting without upsetting her world. It will also make it simple if I am not
around or if we sell the house and a switch fails. The next homeowner or an electrician can just replace
a switch with an ordinary switch and all would be fine except that you might lose any automation of that
load. You can even shut down the Elk and all of the lighting will continue to work as dumb switches.

Mike.

Here last home left a few automated switches in place and they were never utilized and removed by the new owner. 

Last few years an automated DIY peer passed away by accident.  He was a friend and I did help a bit his widow for a time. 

He had updated much to UPB.  I was able to see his UPB network on his automation server.  She did have me shut it down after a few months.  He also did a bunch of wireless stuff and one those LED signs in the family room.  I did remove all of the wireless stuff and disconnected the LED sign.  Thinking initially she liked it because of good memories.

She was not in to the whole automation thing but she did learn the functions of the scenes created by the buttons on the UPB switches.

I left the UPB switches in place to be used as programmed.  

The peer was a DIYer and did automate all of the pool stuff and much of the house but never really documented it for his wife.

Personally it got a bit too much to support her automation (emails and phone calls).

It was a bit much as he did all of the bathrooms multiple lighting via multiple button UPB switches.

Great Thanks Guys!  Mikefamig, I have the same issue to contend with my wife.  Gotta keep it simple

Back