Upgrade Vizia to Vizia RF+

d.dennerline said:
I am not sure I understand the why locks couldn’t be securely enrolled. The RFIT/VRUSB does the secure enrollment. Elk could create a Razberry PI like controller with a RS-485 backend. The problem with currently solution (M1XSLZW) as you suggested is data loss and lack of support for wide variety of ZWave devices. I really would love to be able to use a temp/humidity sensor.
I did not write it very well. Locks are just a more complicated case than unsecured command devices because they require a three command dialog to perform an action as opposed to one with say lighting commands. Inclusion requires to process 7 commands with correct timeouts.

Every controller I am familiar with relies on a sigma chip/coprocessor with a serial api that is used to issue the above commands. I do not believe that elk is capable of engaging in a secure dialogue due to insufficient computing power. For that, you'll need a PC or a powerful enough uCu similar to the one used by RPi. Basically, you'll need to replicate and hopefully improve vrc0p functionality.

Sorry for my answers curtness typing on an iPhone.

Elk could have done what Isy, wink, smart thing do with various degree of success: talk directly to the sigma chip using a powerful enough uCu on an expansion board, but it was easier to punt on that and just use vrc0p.

I still think you should send email to [email protected] with all the details of your research. The research and testing methodology is sound. Maybe there’s an easy to fix defect that Elk can address.

Long term, I hope Elk can invest in a better Z-Wave experience.  IMHO, it would be nice if current solution was very reliable and didn’t rely exclusively RFIT. IMHO, Z-Wave is not going to die any time soon - even with all the technical problems.

Because Elk relies on RFIT, the number of class/devices supported is restricted. RFIT was only recently updated to support Windows10.  

I know I can switch to an ISY, but I don’t want to a third-party automation solution.

d.dennerline said:
I still think you should send email to [email protected] with all the details of your research. The research and testing methodology is sound. Maybe there’s an easy to fix defect that Elk can address.

Long term, I hope Elk can invest in a better Z-Wave experience.  IMHO, it would be nice if current solution was very reliable and didn’t rely exclusively RFIT. IMHO, Z-Wave is not going to die any time soon - even with all the technical problems.

Because Elk relies on RFIT, the number of class/devices supported is restricted. RFIT was only recently updated to support Windows10.  

I know I can switch to an ISY, but I don’t want to a third-party automation solution.

I'm not sure that I agree 100% with the statement about RFIT dependence. I'm pretty sure I've read that people have used other primary controllers (e.g. SmartThings hub) to do network setup, as well as program the VRC0P secondary. 

I will agree that the Elk solution does require the VRC0P  B)

Back