Upgrading HTPC

iostream212

I have been having problems with my new dual tuner card HVR-2250 running on my WHS machine. BSOD and frequent crashing on a previously stable machine. After a lot of thought I decided to try the Vail release candidate. So that's what I've been working on this weekend!

Since this was an upgrade I figured I might add a few new hard drives to the setup too and get me up to 10TB... off to Fry's! Awesome sale, 2TB drives from Seagate for $79! I even was able to chuckle at the old guy holding the line up in front of me asking for help on how to add a new hard drive to his Compaq. News flash: SATA is not pronounced S-A-T-A.
Back at home I threw an old hard drive into the server and loaded Vail. Everything worked great. Up and running in a couple of hours, and it played nice with my new dual tuner card giving me three digital tuners in one box. Woo hoo! I disable the test environment and prepared to go live.
Installed again on my regular hard drive. Now comes the task of moving the data.
In Vail the drive pool was eliminated and I was faced with moving 6TB of videos, music, and photos between all my old hard drives to my new hard drives to get them prepped for Vail. The first hard drive transfer took 6 hours. I decided I did not want to wait for the others. I threw in a hard drive from the drive pool into my work station and was able to see all my files. I would just shuffle them later via RDC... let that fun task run during the day while I am at work and during the night while I am sleeping I figured.
Time to put the mess of a server back together after I verified everything was working. Wife was happy to get the living room back too. Closing up the case I realized that I had 7 Sata devices and only 6 ports on my mb. I'll just get a PCI-e Sata card and for the time being unplug the Blu-ray drive. Unplugged the blu-ray, buttoned up the pc, tucked it back into the media center, and we're done!

Fire up the server for the inaugural run and see that several drives are missing. Figured that they got unplugged during the component shuffling. Pulled out the comp, busted into it again, checking all my connections with my mag light, only to see a crooked Sata cable. I pull it out and on closer inspection the hard drive board had snapped off and was stuck in the Sata cable. WHAT?!

Ok. I will have to see if I can exchange the drive with the manufacturer. This is not the first time I have done this.
Button up the pc, put it back in the media center, turn it on again. All drives are now showing except the broken one. Loading... loading. Wait! What?!
'The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.' The broken drive was the one with my OS on it... of course it was.
Fine. I'll just load Vail again on another hard drive and deal with the broken one latter. I have to get the Sage working... my wife is going to kill me. Go to put in the Vail install disk when I remembered that my blu-ray, the system's only optical drive, was unplugged. Now I am faced with the task of pulling it apart again, installing the blu-ray drive, reloading Vail, installing all my software again.... or go on CT and complain about it, then go get some pizza and beer. I chose the latter. Boo HTPC yeah beer!

Wow, made me feel better about my issues with my server.

Thanks!

--Dan

Seriously. Sometimes I wonder why I do it. But other times everything works perfect. Win some and loose some. I guess its off to the classified section with a 'lightly used' hard drive. ;)

Back