UPS self testing it's battery

PaulD

Had to replace a UPS (APC) battery last week. Was working on my computer when my UPS started screaming at me. Said battery was bad but there was no power outage at the time which would have caused it to convert to battery. I went to a local battery outlet (interstate) and the guy there tells me that many UPS's, security systems and other systems with battery backup that will kick over to battery from time to time to load test the battery. If the battery does not perform OK, it will flag the battery as bad so you can replace it.

This process was news to me. It makes sense but I never knew my UPS units would do this. However, the comment he made about security systems doing it also made me wonder if my HAI Omni Pro II (or any other brand HA sysem) does this. I know my Omni Pro II will tell me if battery is disconnected but does anyone know if it peridically does any type of load test on the battery to judge if it is good or bad?

Had to replace a UPS (APC) battery last week. Was working on my computer when my UPS started screaming at me. Said battery was bad but there was no power outage at the time which would have caused it to convert to battery. I went to a local battery outlet (interstate) and the guy there tells me that many UPS's, security systems and other systems with battery backup that will kick over to battery from time to time to load test the battery. If the battery does not perform OK, it will flag the battery as bad so you can replace it.

This process was news to me. It makes sense but I never knew my UPS units would do this. However, the comment he made about security systems doing it also made me wonder if my HAI Omni Pro II (or any other brand HA sysem) does this. I know my Omni Pro II will tell me if battery is disconnected but does anyone know if it peridically does any type of load test on the battery to judge if it is good or bad?

Most Residential Alarm Panels will load test the battery every 4 hours or so. If the battery is weak you will get a low battery annunciation. Newer Commercial Fire Alarms will do a battery test and annunciate a low battery within 200 seconds.

I dont know the requirements for UPS's but I am pretty sure they would be similar. Better you find out now that you have a bad battery then when you actually need it :rolleyes:

Every APC UPS I have ever installed runs a bettery test. This is by design.

Think my BP1000 does a test every 5 hrs.

I use Ultra UPS's and you can program them, thru UPSMON, to do a test anytime you want. I have all mine (4) do a self test at 0800 every morning. They can be set to call a pager and leave a message if there is a failure.

Back