Voice Activated Home Automation

Hi to all, what about hardware solution? Is there any low cost?
I'm experimenting easyvr but it's limited.
Thanks

Personally I don't believe the hardware solutions are equivalent to the cloud solutions. For example, the easyvr is fairly speaker-dependent. The Chrome solution is not. No training necessary.

Joe

I think you may actually be referring to Vaughn's vCrib application. He used to post a lot of videos here and on YouTube. He changed to app and open sourced it. http://opensourceautomation.com/

Terry

Getting back to the original question, I have 2 installations utilizing VR with HAL. I have a lot of experience VR as I use it all day at work. HAL is as good as the latest product as long as you use a limited vocabulary, which isn't a problem as HAL has enough to cover vitually anything you need in home auto.
I have 2 hybrid Cinemar/HAL installations and they work extremely well. High WAF with VR for house control- all she has to do is talk! Don't use mikes, just house phones or cell if we are on the road, and the new iphone app is amazing.

This may have been the site you were referring to :

http://james.lipsit.com/home.htm

Take a look here and at the HAL site.Might as well go to |Cinemar too- ther touch screen stuff is very good.

bob

Thanks that is exactly the correct video I originally saw. It is fantastic. i wonder if it is any good or better today!

AutHomation has some pretty cool voice recognition capabilities built in. The developer claims the voice recognition feature is experimental, but it is pretty interesting.

AutHomation has some pretty cool voice recognition capabilities built in. The developer claims the voice recognition feature is experimental, but it is pretty interesting.
Just to clarify, AutHomation is an Android app which is designed to work with the Mi Casa Verde (Vera) line of devices. It's a fairly narrow scope, but still cool.

I had attempted quite an elaborate setup a few years ago. Although the technology has probably improved a bit, there are still some challenges, I'm sure. But one thing you don't want to do is try some voice recognition a few inches from a mic on a PC, and then assume your whole-house setup will work like that. That would be just a dream.

In real-life, adding distance between the speaker and mic greatly makes recognition more difficult. So does background noise like TVs and people just talking. Rooms without a bunch of carpeting cause echo problems, and when you have mics in multiple rooms, switching them and have them still work is a challenge. Just cutting off the first split second of voice kills voice recognition. Overall, recognition which might be 99.99% at a close mic will drop to 40% or worse in real life conditions. Using a wireless mic with a press-to-talk button might work better option. You think Suri works great but try to talk to it on the other side of the room with the TV going.

If you keep your expectations in check, there is much you can do, but make sure you don't have unrealistic expectations. A house like on a Jetson's is still just a bit off, at least if budget is any concern.

Voice control is not just a dream. It's here today! All it cost was $35 in hardware and a bit of my time. It's capabilities are only limited by your imagination. An the best part is there is no recurring monthly extortion fee for the privilege of using voice control in one's home.

Enjoy!

Elvis

Here's a really rough quick video of my security system, I built it myself, about 3,000 lines of C code.
I don't have a lot of time, so the video was not rehearsed and the audio sucks, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwFe3jWTBbg

I can do most anything with it. Garage door, yes. HVAC control, lighting, security, access control, the works.
The plan is eventually the whole house will be audio enabled, and just speak to control anything.
I'm currently working on a module to say "call xx", and it will place a phone call to that person and connect it to the nearest voip phone extension...

I can do most anything with it. Garage door, yes. HVAC control, lighting, security, access control, the works.
The plan is eventually the whole house will be audio enabled, and just speak to control anything.
I'm currently working on a module to say "call xx", and it will place a phone call to that person and connect it to the nearest voip phone extension...

Very nice project! What software are you using for speech recognition?
Thanks

Thanks. I'm a dotNet developer at work, so I prefer the Microsoft dotNet 4.0 api for the speech recognition and synthesis. All of the grammar rules are written in C#.

Here's a really rough quick video of my security system, I built it myself, about 3,000 lines of C code.
I don't have a lot of time, so the video was not rehearsed and the audio sucks, but...

I like the floor plan concept to visualize what is happening. Are you using C# WPF for the front end? Any tricks to easily drawing the floor plan? I have been using the HAI C# SDK for logging and notifications, but would like to expand on it.

call me crazy but Im finding Siri to be prettty damn accurate! Are y all not finding that?

Hi, can the Siri be used only with Iphone apps?
We want to integrate speech recognition in out domotic framework written in java. Now we are testing sphinx library.
Thanks

Back