W800RF support (M1)

Ok, I think there are many things both current and aspiring M1 owners want. I think before we start squeeking, we need to help David prioritze. In a conversation with him he indicated there was very little precious space left in the control. Every feature request eats up that much more. I'm pretty sure they won't use *all* the remaining space because what would happen if they need room for a critical bug fix or something? I'm sure they as a company also have limited resources. So, E, so not to hijack this thread, why don't we start another one that lists out all the features we want from the M1 and then get everyones input on what the priority should be. Then we can get that to David and he can use that along with what I'm sure is abundant input from others that don't hang out here. I know I kind of started this by asking about motions less expensive than Caddx, but I think there are other things I would rather have if I needed to choose. After all, these x10 motions are just for a quick 1 night holiday thing.

Ok, to start a new thread, here are the things I know are currently on the want list.

- Touchscreens
- IR Support
- i3 series smoke cleaning signal support
- W800 support
- ElkRP enhancements
- ZWave support

and I'm sure there are others. Personally (and maybe its just my lack of knowledge or experience with the system) but I'd like to see some other things like tweaks to some of the rules, etc. which we can maybe just get it all on the table in a separate thread. WDYT?

I did vote yes but I agree that there are other higher priorities like X10 LOGGING - non security logging! That I think should be the highest priority of them all. Yeah, yeah, I know HS will do it but what about the user that isn't running HS or a similar package?

ELK already has a huge list of things they have to do (with priorities), so instead of trying to tell them what to do, I figured I would start a poll to show how much this one single feature would be appreciated.

I am more interested in hardware enhancements (such as support for IR, W800RF), than ElkRP enhancements, since those are more critical.

As for the X10 logging, if you own HS, and run the my.Elk script, you can log it already ;)

Steve: you are more than welcome to start a new thread, this thread is just to see if there is any interest in the w800 feature at all (and looks like there is).

I don't think Elk should get into IR at all. There are other devices for that. I would rather instead have them concentrate on home automation and security aspects (that what this was built for, not home theater apps).

IR is mainly used for security in my house ;) I would rather have ELK interface existing IR hardware so they don't have to spend too many resources on building it from scratch, but not sure if that is going to be possible. I am thinking about just having the M1EZ8 talk to the Ocelot using the serial port (I'll have to get another serial port module), but I don't remember if the Ocelot can react to incoming ASCII messages.

Yes, the Ocelot can send IR signals using simple ASCII commands such as +I010001.

Speaking of the M1's memory and capacity, didn't David mention (on the very first chat where he was the special guest) that the cpu would be upgraded to a more powerful model sometime in the future, something like in a year or so? I'm not sure about this so someone correct me if I'm wrong. If that is the case, would memory capacity also be beefed up?

Guy,

do I send the +I010001 (what's the syntax?) TO the Ocelot? I was looking at the Cmax software, and didn't see how it could respond to ASCII messages, only transmit. Thanks!

PS: I am pretty sure you are right about David, I remember reading that statement as well.

Speaking of the M1's memory and capacity, didn't David mention (on the very first chat where he was the special guest) that the cpu would be upgraded to a more powerful model sometime in the future, something like in a year or so?

Besides a more powerful processor in the next version of the M1 (M1 Platinum?) is there any indication of other potential hardware enhancements? IR has been mentioned but what about more sophisticated audio handling such as a switching matrix to interconnect line-in, line-out, speaker, phone line. How about LCD keypads with user defined menus? Or direct support for xPL?

I am talking about things which (I assume) cannot be added by updating the firmware in current models and would require upgraded hardware so they should be separated from the things that could be added to existing models.

upstatemike said:
Speaking of the M1's memory and capacity, didn't David mention (on the very first chat where he was the special guest) that the cpu would be upgraded to a more powerful model sometime in the future, something like in a year or so?
If this were to happen, would there be an expansion card for existing users typically, or only for new installations? (M1Gold to M1Platinum expansion card)

We have the W800 working with the M1 now. It will be an new software download to the M1XSP serial port expander. The one thing that we need to test is the X10 door/window switch. I do not have any of those yet.

Your wishes do come TRUE!!! ;)

Holy @!$#%! Now that's awesome news!

Do you want me to send you a couple of DS10A's (window/door sensors)? I can also give you the data it outputs. Same for the big red button remotes, but this is awesome news.

Thank you David & ELK for listening! Time to start stocking up on those expanders ...

Oh yea, it looks like David created post #19000 on this forum when making that announcement, congrats ;)

Cool! How does one find post 19000?

And how will this work? Especially for the security devices that don't have X-10 housecode/unitcode identities.

electron said:
Guy,

do I send the +I010001 (what's the syntax?) TO the Ocelot? I was looking at the Cmax software, and didn't see how it could respond to ASCII messages, only transmit. Thanks!

PS: I am pretty sure you are right about David, I remember reading that statement as well.
Here is the complete command set for the ASCII protocol. This simplified protocol is easy to use because it requires no checksums or CRC calculations, and does not send any responses back to the device sending the command. The only requirement is that the command must be sent all at once within a fraction of a second, so it wouldn't work with something like Hyperterminal where you slowly key in the characters. This protocol was the early cpuxa connectivity offering when the number of variables and timers was smaller in C-Max, so variables above 99 and values above 9999 cannot be sent with it. As the cpuxa (and then Ocelot) was furthur developed, the more capable binary protocol was introduced, but the ASCII protocol is still supported, making this kind of application very easy to do with any device that can send simple ASCII strings.

btw, I'm guessing that the "380" in the Learn IR command below is specifying the IR carrier frequency (38 kHz), and could thus be adjusted to other values.

Learn IR
+R380xxx
note: while this command is still supported, it is
recommended that C-Max software be used to learn IR
where xxx is the IR Location to learn
example, learn IR # 0 +R380000
example, learn IR # 17 +R380017
example, learn IR # 81 +R380081

Send Local IR
+T000xxx
where xxx is the Learned IR Location to send
example, send IR # 1 +T000001
example, send IR # 10 +T000010
example, send IR # 23 +T000023

Set/Clear Relay
+Cmmpp0x
where mm is the Module Number 01 thru 99
where pp is the I/O Point Number 00 thru 15
where x is the Relay Status to send (0 = OFF, 1 = ON)
example, turn relay 2 in module 3 ON +C030201
example, turn relay 0 in module 15 OFF +C150000
example, turn relay 5 in module 10 ON +C100501

Select Remote IR Zone
+Smmpp00
where mm is the Module Number 01 thru 99
where pp is the I/O Zone Number 00 thru 15
example, select zone 2 in module 3 +S030201
example, select zone 0 in module 15 +S150000
example, select zone 5 in module 10 +S100501

Send Remote IR
+K000xxx
note: sends IR xxx to Module and Zone selected
on above command

where xxx is the Learned IR Location to send
example, send IR # 1 +K000001
example, send IR # 10 +K000010
example, send IR # 23 +K000023

Change Variable Contents in CPUXA
+Vnnxxxx
where nn is the variable # 00 thru 31
where xxxx is the new variable contents 0 thru 9999
example, change variable 4's contents to 1 +V040001
example, change variable 18's contents to 0 +V180000
example, change variable 0's contents to 8764 +V008764

Send X10 command
+Xhhkkrr
where hh is the house code 0 thru 15 (A-P)
where kk is the key (unit) code 0 - 15 (1-16)
where rr is the number of times to repeat this code 1 thru 15
example, send B 11 once +X011001
example, send B ON once +X011801
example, send B DIM 5 times +X012005

Send Extended X10 Level Command
+Ehhkkbb
where bb is the brightness level 0 - 63
example, set H5 to 50% brightness (32) +E070432
example, set C2 to 25% brightness (16) +E020116
example, set P14 to 75% brightness (48) +E151348

Send Extended X10 Group (Scene) Command
+Ehhkkgg
note: Use C-Max Software to configure modules in groups

where gg is the group (scene) number 0 - 63
example, set H5 to group (scene) 32 +G070432
example, set C2 to group (scene) 16 +G020116
example, set P14 to group (scene) 48 +G151348

wow, that's great, thanks Guy! I looked at the protocol before, and didn't see a mention of this feature, pretty interesting. I am going to test this tonight, if this works, then the Ocelot would be the perfect IR device, no need for ELK to reinvent the wheel.

Back