WC8: Weak OP1, simple debug/fix?

donv

Have a WC8 board that appears to be producing weak current on OP1. Did my original prototyping with other outputs and then caught this after connecting up the complete solution - it did not trigger the same relay board which other channels do. Tried it also with a LED and it just barely glows on that channel but is good on all others. Voltage is proper using a DMM, so I'm guessing this is a current issue. Tried reflowing the solder for the output terminal and that did not fix it.

Other places I can check values or solder joint integrity to debug the issue?

The output buffer IC allows max current 10mA per output, 30mA in total, if that output pin had overcurrent experience, it could be damaged.  That IC is easy to replace and not expensive, located between 16 pin header and 5V regulator. 

Thanks, I've marked up this photo of my solution to show the chip I think you mean. In the meantime since my original post I went ahead and put the board into service using the other channels. I'll take a look at this once the weather warms up once again - the board is mounted high up on the garage ceiling at this point. :)

It is probably easy as you say but this might be past my soldering skills level. I'd hate to make a mostly working board no longer work. :)

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:811]

You are correct. It is hard to do chip replacement with soldering iron only.  This tool with proper width tips are required.

Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111457571415

Back