WebControl: $35 Web- and email-enabled data acquisition and control

I received mine today. I noticed the temp is in centigrade. Is there any way to change that? I also noticed dip switches/lights and jumpers. The technical manual doesn't have any info on these. Is there more documentation that could explain the dip switches and what the green and red light mean (not the network lights)?

I received mine today. I noticed the temp is in centigrade. Is there any way to change that? I also noticed dip switches/lights and jumpers. The technical manual doesn't have any info on these. Is there more documentation that could explain the dip switches and what the green and red light mean (not the network lights)?

ABIK, there is no documented way to change the interface-reported output from C to F.

The DIP switches are associated electrically with the RS-232 and RS-485/422 I/O connectors and presumably deal with changing settings for those functions when and if they become supported by the firmware and the driver IC's populated. If that is true, then they have no useful function at this time. One could try changing them to see what happens -- they are all ON on each of the three boards I have -- but I haven't. (It's been a while since I last 'took apart a watch' too ;-)

The red LED would appear to indicate that power has been applied to the board and the blinking green LED that the mcu is idle/looping. The green LED turns off briefly when a reconfiguration instruction is sent.

HTH ... Marc

Tested Michaels XaP CAI application today. Works well. Here are a few screenshots.

webcontrolstatus1.jpg

xap1.jpg

xap2.jpg

xap3.jpg

humidityxap.jpg

A question for those that received the WebControl: Did you recieve the case pictured in the Amazon listing or just the circuit board?

Regards,
Ultrajones

The case is kind of basic with only (from what I could tell) the RJ-45 port cutout and a wire entry point with nothing else. The box itself though would protect the board from shorts. The metal box looks "industrial". I am testing today with the board in a plastic open tupperware container which works well for testing in vivo.

Interesting cuz other than myself measuring the board itself I couldn't find a reference anywhere relating to the size of the board. There are a number of different sized plastic project cases offered for sale though on AllElectronics.

The case is kind of basic with only (from what I could tell) the RJ-45 port cutout and a wire entry point with nothing else. The box itself though would protect the board from shorts. The metal box looks "industrial". I am testing today with the board in a plastic open tupperware container which works well for testing in vivo.

Interesting cuz other than myself measuring the board itself I couldn't find a reference anywhere relating to the size of the board. There are a number of different sized plastic project cases offered for sale though on AllElectronics.

There's another thread on the HomeSeer message board where I posted this info:
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=138729

The CAI WebControl printed circuit board PCB is 80 x 88 mm

The outside dimensions of the case are 100mm x 100mm x35mm. The case is well-made from steel with threaded (not sheetmetal) flush screws. There are four standoffs inside to which the PCB is attached with screws.

It is roughly the same footprint as a Comtrol DeviceMaster Air http://www.comtrol.com/products/family/dmair and a Netgear 5-port hub (100x 92mm). Together they make a complete wireless system together that can be expanded to include an RS-xxx device and provide internet connection to up to three additional devices or redundant wired connection + 2 others.

DeviceMaster Air --> Hub --> Comtrol TCP/IP->RS-232
....... .... ...... ..... ..... ....... --> WebControl
....... ..... .... ........ ....... ... --> To wired network (optionally)
...... ..... .... ........ ...... ..... --> Other device
....... .. ..... ........ .... ........ --> Other device

I am working designing a companion PCB that would fit inside the CAI WebControl case and provide:

1) Regulated DC power for the WebControl and companion PCB
2) Multiplexor for additional analog and digital I/O
3) Amplifiers for signal conditioning
4) DPDT relays
5) Optionally:
... a) Analog signal differencing / comparators
... b) Power for other devices
... c) Be powered from standard 24VAC HVAC transformer
... d) Be powered by Power Over Ethernet (POE)
... e) Trickle charger for battery backup.

HTH ... Marc

Marc,

What name and description would be given to the new mini HA combo Webcontrol board / companion PCB?

Are you recommending the purchase of the CAI metal case relating to the above mentioned dialog?

- pete

The DIP switches are associated electrically with the RS-232 and RS-485/422 I/O connectors and presumably deal with changing settings for those functions when and if they become supported by the firmware and the driver IC's populated. If that is true, then they have no useful function at this time.

But that doesn't mean that the associated I/O connectors (0.375" screw terminals) can't be re-purposed. The two DIP switches on SW-1 toward the center of the board put 120 ohm RS-4xx termination resistors in-circuit.
Factory default is ON. Switching them OFF should take the inner 6 terminals (2-5 and 1-2; the outer two 1 & 3 are ground) out of all circuitry since their connections would be to the absent RS-xx driver IC's. So one *should* be able to repurpose these terminals as inputs (analog and/or digital) by jumpering from the 20-pin female header. Handier in some cases than connecting to the pin header itself.

Let me know if something smokes ;-)

... Marc

Marc,

What name and description would be given to the new mini HA combo Webcontrol board / companion PCB?

Are you recommending the purchase of the CAI metal case relating to the above mentioned dialog?

- pete

How's about "the new mini HA combo Webcontrol board / companion PCB" ? ... Rolls off the tongue don't you think ? <joke intended>

The CAI case is compact, strong, provides some RF shielding, avoids the bungle of having the power connection in an easily broken or unplugged location, and well made. It's black. What more is there to say?

Whether it is useful will depend on the application and owner/user preference.

Here's another case at the opposite end of the spectrum. I call it my "Instrumentation Playpen".

It is a 24" x 18" x 6" steel electrical enclosure with a piece of 3/4" plywood inside, to which whatever I'm working on can be attached with screws:

When the steel cover is on, the ... err .... "transient nature" of what's being worked on inside is hidden from view.

InstrumentationPlayPen_1_800x600.jpg

Marc,

I like your "instrumentation playpen".

Many years ago had a friend (nicknamed: Glitch - smokeliberator) who worked for GM. He did some design relating to the electronics in GM cars. He worked from home but his entire basement was an automotive electrical design studio even to the point of having a wind tunnel.

From your postings you remind me of him somwhat.

My 1-wire footprint has gotten a bit out of hand but works well. The two Temp-0x boards were on stand-offs but had to temporarily remove one. The two 9097's connect into this "spaghetti - 1 Wire" footprint. Its really basic but the base is part of a Leviton patch panel combo. Putting the Webcontrol board in a case would allow me to install it anywhere near the pictured panel.

- petec

dscf2001.jpg

Does anyone know of a supplier of these that will ship worldwide? The Amazon sellers I found will only ship to the US... :eek:

Macca,

I have been testing the board now for about a week. There are some concerns with the documented voltage outputs and 1-wire temperature devices functions as described. Have a look at this thread relating to both the HW and software that is being currently used.

HS Forum WebControl thread

This said I have no problems purchasing and sending you one from Amazon. I would wait a bit yet though.

-pete

Back