Webcontrol temp sensor reads high

maxim775

I deleted this and recreated here in the appropriate subforum, so I apologize if anyone has already read it. Noob mistake.

I am configring a webcontrol PLC (hardware 2.2.2, firmware version v03.02.17f) to monitor my home when I'm away on a trip this Winter, mainly in case my furnace fails. I've hooked up a DS18B20 temperature sensor as shown in the manual and it appears to read around seven degrees farenheit too high. I see nothing in the documentation about calibration, so I was wondering if either I am doing something wrong or if I simply need to account for the difference in software. If it is typical to have some offset, is it likely to be reasonably consistent? So far I've only had a small temperature window to observe it (63F - 65F). So far I've seen it vary from six to eight degrees high. I am using a 9VDC power supply (measures 9.15 V when powering the controller) rated for 675 mA which I believe is enough since I am driving no outputs. Thanks very much.

If you hooked up exactly like manual picture, the sensor picked up board temperature.  The manual picture is for helping to  identify the pin orientation. In real use, you will have a short or long wire that separate the board from sensor.  Please note that DS18B20 sensor uses its ground pin to sense temperature, not through the plastic shell.

Amazon. Not sure of the origin but they have a 4.5 star rating.

I wondered if being so close to the board would matter but was surprised it made a difference that big. The ground pin sensing makes more sense in that regard. I want to put the controller in a case anyway, so I'll attach some wires. Thanks a lot.

Back