What do you do when your alarm goes off in the middle of the night?

They don't want to be met at the door by a guy holding a pistol (it's happened to me).

Are you the homeowner meeting the police at the door with a pistol or the law enforcement officer responding to the call? ;)

(I'm sure it is the 2nd, but if it is the first, I'd love to hear the story :)).

<- Born and bred Texan.

I roll out of bed, get into the closet, get the gun out of the safe and clear the house. It's a programmed response I don't even think about.

A long time ago when I was renting, if the alarm went off, which it did, I grabbed the 12 gauge and got ready to shoot anyone who came through my locked bedroom door. Now, I don't have that luxury because I have a kid who has a bedroom on the other side of the house.

My new plan is to listen to which zone was tripped since the M1 tells me. If it's a door or window sensor, then there is a low chance of false positives. The phone gets tossed to the wife. She calls 911 and goes to grab the kid and take him up to our bedroom if the sensor was in another part of the house. I grab a gun, a 900 lumen flashlight that will disorient anyone in its beam, and let the dog into the part of the house where the alarm was triggered.

I highly suggest getting a GunVault (http://www.gunvault.com) and bolting it under or near your bed for quick access. Don't get the fingerprint access unit, it is hard to open in a hurry.

There is only one part of the house the dog doesn't have access to at night. If someone came in anywhere else, they'd be dealing with 95 pounds of mad German Shepherd. And if they did get into the area that the dog doesn't have access to, there's nothing to take so they'd have to go out into the main area where the dog is.

But, the bottom line is, if you do not need to go through your house to grab your kid or other family members, don't. Lock your bedroom door, call the cops if the alarm company hasn't, and start shooting if someone forcefully opens the door. I would very much like to have a good camera system so I could bring it up and see multiple areas at once from my bedroom, but I haven't really found anything that I like. Paranoid? Maybe. But there are home invasions around here, and I live in a secluded area.

Back