what do you recommend for whole house audio, for local and streaming services (spotify etc)

Using a matrix switch and separate amps would work too.  Really that is all the whole house systems are with the addition of the control keypads to make it easier to use.  Of course you need to make sure there is some sort of volume control built into the matrix switch or the amps.  You don't really want to control the volume of the source because any change to the source volume effects ALL zones listening to the source.  If there is only going to be one person listening to a source at a time, I guess you can plan on adjusting the source volume, but if this is true, then is a matrix system really needed anyway? 

If you can put the surround sound amp in the actual location where you are going to use it, it certainly makes the control aspect easier because you can just use the normal remote control vs trying to do it via some software.  If you don't want to rely on the keypads, then some sort of control software would be required.  It doesn't have to be a full fledged automation system and if you have programming skills, you could probably write a simple program yourself.  But using the off the shelf software is the route most of us have to take.

dgage said:
Nice! And then you can sell an unopened Sonos ConnectAmp on eBay and turn around and buy a Sonos Connect if you don't need the amp. I would have jumped on that deal if it was for the regular Connect.

And I would have gone with the Definitive ProMonitor 800 for $145 as it is more popular and likely easier to sell.

I actually did get the Definitiive speakers.  I also got one set of the rocks to keep since they were practically free - I was buying all of the Sonos stuff anyhow.

Might even keep the Definitive sets just for the heck of it - since again I had to buy the Sonos stuff anyhow and they are a bonus.

I had a russound CAM system sold it and picked up a few Sonos amps, play 3 speakers and a play 5 speaker.
I just sold all of it and picked up a new Russound MCA-5 kit.
Here are my thoughts.
Sonos has an awesome interface.
Play3 is probably the best compact self powered speaker I've ever heard in my life. Yes it's better than play5 also. (Newer tech? )
Amps are ok... 50 watts per Chan no biggie. Need one for each zone if you want real control.
Love sonos setup no doubt. Not the best 3rd party integration (yet) and lacking in wall control short of iPod or iPad.

I am going back to Russound with newer keypads and 40 watts per channel. Primarily running Sonos connect as audio source and paging of announcements via vera alerts (eliminating another amp and speaker setup i have)
I Will miss the play 3...
If you are ok with that style of speaker get them you won't be disappointed. i need to power the in wall speakers and maybe hide one play 3 for fun. get one of the whole home solutions if you are ok with cost but get a Sonos connect for your streaming audio

The 3rd party integration capability is there and fairly extensive, but a lot of work, and of course not documented (which it really should be, though it's been fairly stable and only changed on us once so far.) Some of it is quite stable, because it's just standard UPnP media stuff. But there are also proprietary UPnP interfaces of their own, and those they could change at any time, though they don't seem to do it often so far.

I'm looking into of this now. The more I look I think the smartest thing for me is to just get a good quality centralized source/amp control system (really just to control the volume and drive the speakers). Then flush mount an ipod touch or small android device next to it. Most of the units I'm looking at have digital rca and 3.5m inputs for a local line device. You can listen to the source in another room or use the local device to generate the stream. Gives you the benefit of a strong core amp/volume control without tying yourself into some master command console.. people keep up the cell phone app development wayyyy more regularly. Plus all the home controllers and other devices usually have apps that run on it, and the price of the some of those wall mounted touchscreens are stupidly expensive.

You could probably pick up 10 small android devices, customize the firmware so it only has what you need, and even have it centralize the download of the firmware in case you want to update the phones remotely.

Need to invent some sort of wall mounted flush kit that you can just dial in the depth, add a power adapter and then cut a trim ring (like a car stereo kit).

I don't know why I'm so surprised this stuff doesn't just exist.. When you consider how many thousands of apps run on these handhelds now and how good the touchscreens are, they have advanced so much further than almost anything else..
You could even add a hands-free kit and do wi-fi calling or room to room intercom.. If you sit there with your phone playing through your home stereo you pretty much have access to anything.. movies/music/news, etc. We just have to make them work better together as stations/zones.

While I'm on a roll, pool controllers surprise me too.. what expensive junk for doing so little. I used to do some PLC programming with temp sensors, pressure sensors, vfd motors, flow sensors, etc.. today your pool pump can run dry and just overheat, and die (over time).. So why does the flow sensor not stop the pump? Because they wouldn't sell you a replacement $500 pump/motor if it didn't burn out all the time.. A pool controller is really not that different than a $50 irrigation controller.. And then jandy and all these guys want to sell you a $500 converter to let you control via RS232 but then it doesn't even access all the functions. We should open source a pool control project, everyone pick one sensor or device type and then make it accessible via IP/Serial control.

Big517 said:
I had a russound CAM system sold it and picked up a few Sonos amps, play 3 speakers and a play 5 speaker. I just sold all of it and picked up a new Russound MCA-5 kit. Here are my thoughts. Sonos has an awesome interface. Play3 is probably the best compact self powered speaker I've ever heard in my life. Yes it's better than play5 also. (Newer tech? ) Amps are ok... 50 watts per Chan no biggie. Need one for each zone if you want real control. Love sonos setup no doubt. Not the best 3rd party integration (yet) and lacking in wall control short of iPod or iPad. I am going back to Russound with newer keypads and 40 watts per channel. Primarily running Sonos connect as audio source and paging of announcements via vera alerts (eliminating another amp and speaker setup i have) I Will miss the play 3... If you are ok with that style of speaker get them you won't be disappointed. i need to power the in wall speakers and maybe hide one play 3 for fun. get one of the whole home solutions if you are ok with cost but get a Sonos connect for your streaming audio

I agree with Big517.    Russound system for distributed audio, then Sonos:Connect with a Myro:Bridge that brings the metadata and transport control of the Sonos to the Russound system.   That's how I use it in my own home.

I should disclose that I also own Myro Control and created the Myro:Bridge a couple years ago because I was tired of waiting for Russound to come up with a better media streamer and "smart sources" like HDMI switchers, etc. 

Fast forward to today -- I'm creating Myro:Air because I'm tired of sync'ing services when I have all the sources right on my iOS device.  So AirPlay with a great DAC and fully controllable (2-way and metadata) makes more sense to me and my lifestyle -- where I can stream audio (Pandora, Podcasts, iCloud/Match, Amazon, etc) wirelessly from my iOS device stream that via Myro:Air to the Russound, where I can see what is playing and even control the iOS device right from any keypad or connected automation controller like Crestron or HAI.

The best part is I can then get in the car and resume where I left off without needing to "sync" -- makes everything much easier!

I took the DIY approach to whole house audio and cobbled a system together...  ^_^
  • I'm running 8 fixed zones + 1 mobile controlled with LMS - Logitech Media Server (open source version) running on a Raspberry Pi.
  • Player software (SqueezeLite) is running as a service on various PCs that are a part of my home automation system and 2 Raspberry Pi (1 on the LMS box)
  • All output is to sound cards, some internal and some external (just picked up 3 of these guys for 11.99 each)  
  • Each sound card is hooked to AV receivers or various amplifiers, powered speakers around the house.
  • The mobile zone is running off of an 2nd gen iPod Touch running iPeng hooked up to a boom box.
There are several methods of control:
  • CQC - control screens being developed right now, currently I have the ability to turn the players and audio equipment on/off with a push of a button but still have to select what to listen to, integrating that into CQC is next. Will have voice command/control capability from our Android devices via CQC as well (also under construction) 
  • CQC control of the audio equipment is either direct via RS232 for the 2 AV receivers, or UPB appliance for On/Off
  • iPeng on the iPod Touch
  • OrangeSqueeze - Android
  • LMS web interface
Overall it works very well. I have 1 audio zone that has a bit of a lag when synchronized with the other zones and I just haven't had time to tweak the settings to eliminate. Responsiveness of web page hitting the Pi based LMS is a bit sluggish compared to running it on a Windows box but is quite functional.

-Ben

I can vouch for Russound. Anything in true Multi-Room audio is going to get expensive. IMHO Sonos is a great "direct to end user" product but is such a closed system it is hard to integrate anyth8ing to anything and I am one that likes connectivity.

I run a Russound C-Series 6 zone amp. It has a HUGE amount of power output and I am using RCA out in the lounge to the lounge amp and driving the Acclaim outdoor series speakers oudside, roof speakers in family rooms and bedrooms.Having a central point for distribution rather than amps scattered all over the place is nice too.

I have this teamed up with the Russound DMS (Digital Media Server) which is a bit pricy honestly, but fantastic. It gives you 3 channels out and allows you to play directly from a PC using windows media player, from any airplay device directly, from internet radio streams or from any DLNA source on your network. You can also connect a USB HDD to it and play direct off that. All very neat stuff.

The Russound app makes things much easier to operate than the keypad and the big thing I like is the full integration and control. I have it connected via RS232 to a Bitwise BC1 (In Australia it's a Push Controls PC1) and am able to switch the Russound system on automatically when I switch the TV on in some rooms because of sens outputs triggering tasks in the BC1.

For integrators it's a fine choice. For a DIY builder it's a LOT to get your head around if you want to go full hog but the main hardware is very high quality and reliable.

Back