what's your electricity usage?

Steve said:
Dang, this has to be the most depressing thread I've ever read at CT. I think its time to move into a small apartment or do some serious energy conservation. Peak in July we used 115kwh/day. Last month was a mere 78kwh/day.

First 750 $.043020
Over 750 $.052320
Fuel $.040090
+ $5.25 month customer charge

= average of $.0917/KWH

Time for a bunch of occupancy sensors and serious dimming.
Wow,

That makes me feel a little better now...

:)

StevenE

I don't think the electric co. has caught up to gas and oil yet. ( I guess the PUC or something. )

I have domestic hot water heated by an oil furnace. If you just do the math w. the BTU of Fuel oil and efficiency of the furnace, it seems like a pretty good thing... but last summer, when I used nothing for heat, I measured the tank and discovered I used a gal a day for domestic hot water alone. Not so good.

I still am undecided on the costs of it in the winter. I think the heater has to run anyway in the winter and the water is maybe heated economically, but in the summer, I think the great majority of the heat goes up the chimney just to keep the furnace hot.

That's how I came upon this site... trying to figure out how to hook up temp sensors to my PC, and what kind to use etc. to see if I could get a better handle on this stuff.

deranged said:
Steve said:
Dang, this has to be the most depressing thread I've ever read at CT. I think its time to move into a small apartment or do some serious energy conservation. Peak in July we used 115kwh/day. Last month was a mere 78kwh/day.

First 750 $.043020
Over 750 $.052320
Fuel $.040090

= average of $.0917/KWH

Wow,

That makes me feel a little better now...

:)

StevenE
That makes you feel good? I have to check mine (just got a bill last night I think). I could have sworn it was .12 or so.

I know I was pondering a 'fuel surcharge' they had added (that I don't think was detailed how they figured it out), which has added between $60-$95 per month lately if I recall correctly. With the ability to choose your provider, I was wondering if this perhaps made it harder to compare alternate providers, or if it applied for the region, regardless if you used another provider.

I have a feeling I'm not going to like the comparison from what is listed above.

OK - This is embarrassing! My family/house uses an average of 113 kWH/day. Luckily, we live in Washington state and have a flat rate of $.0496 kw/hr, thanks to the BPA's Hydro. My house is fairly big, but not that big. I will be showing this thread to my wife!

All electric, except for propane cook top. Rural location with a deep well.

We definitely have some "opportunities"!

Ok I went back to look.

Basic service: 30 days @ .1790 = $5.37
250 KWH @ $.1249 = $31.23
780 KWH @ $.1179 = $91.96
Fuel Price adjustment: $69.72

Then another $10 in tax/tax like stuff.

Seems I am in the high range :(

lazyone said:
OK - This is embarrassing! My family/house uses an average of 113 kWH/day. Luckily, we live in Washington state and have a flat rate of $.0496 kw/hr, thanks to the BPA's Hydro.
I am not at all sure what's to be embarrassed about when you have a cheap source of Hydro electricity. It's not like you're wasting some non-renewable resource that some other poor person is doing without.

Plus you're paying half what I am. I'd be electric everything at your rate.

I don't see anything to be embarrassed about. :(

Steve said:

First 750 $.043020
Over 750 $.052320
Fuel $.040090

= average of $.0917/KWH

While I was looking forward to a lower bill this month after a bunch of new dimming standards, I was surprised to see my bill went up a bunch. The reason - FPL redid their rate structure and fuel charges went up a bunch. It is now:

Non-Fuel Charge:
First 1000 KWH $.042310
Over 1000 KWH $.052310

but the fuel is now...

First 1000 $.058410
Over 1000 $.068410

Time for more serious measures :ph34r:

We are actually getting charged extra money now because the winter isn't as cold as expected, so our power company is stuck with all the 'reserves' they supposedly built up.

I was fairly pleased with my Gas bill this month (just finished putting in my 3 RCS thermostats tied into my HVPro). I will detail this in my Cocoon writeup (as soon as I finish it) but my bill went down compared to the same month a year ago. My gas usage dropped 30%. If I calculate what my bill would have been this month using last years usage and this months $ rate, I saved more than $70. At that rate, won't take too long to break even on the cost of putting in the Thermostats!

Just cuz everyone else did, in Albuquerque you pay

0.068 for the first 200kWh then
0.079 for the rest

Apparently, a very good deal!

electron said:
We are actually getting charged extra money now because the winter isn't as cold as expected, so our power company is stuck with all the 'reserves' they supposedly built up.
That sux, they get you either way. We're sorry, we got reserves we paid for and didn't use so your rates are going up, or there is a fuel shortage and we are paying top dollar and passing it on to you.

Here on Long Island our rates are very high (supposedly some of the highest in the USA). I am not sure what the kwh rate is but I used 17,714 kwh last year and my estimated bill for this year is $3698.81. So my monthly balanced billing is $309. We have tons of surcharges and taxes on our bills (surcharges are almost 20% now)

When I moved in 5 years ago my electric was $about $160 monthly and my gas was $140 monthly. Now with gas prices skyrocketing my gas is actually $119 monthly (was $98 last year) because I put in triple pane windows and reinsulated the enitire house ( over 150 sheets sheetrock later as well).

Last month I put in a tankless gas fired water heater that should save me about $10 or more a month. I did it myself so it was about $600. In 5 years I will be even and then I will be saving.

In areas where electric is cheap and gas is expensive people should consider electric radiant floor heating. Its extremely effecient, each room can be its own zone, can be controlled through programable thermostats etc. , and heats the room more evenly. Its cheaper to install than hydronic floor heating and now they make it for carpeting, laminant flooring as well as tile floor. Next month I am gutting the bathroom and will put it in there.

I just bought a bunch of Insteon switches (I am almost totally compact flourescent in my house) and plan on automating my house through my ELK panel. Hopefully that will cut the electric a little since the kids leave the lights on all of the time.

Digger > I'm on LI as well, so the quotes I had above should be close for KWPH charges.

Just got my bill the other day around $90 in fuel surcharges for a total bill of $275 for a month, so the surcharge (and actually there are a few other charges as well on top of the fuel one) so it is closer to 30% or more.

Mike,

If we could get rid of the electric bills and school taxes we would be living like kings.... (thats about $1K a month in total)

After the last post I decided to put the first insteon switch in. Its an ICON and I was pleased that the relay was fairly quiet. I need to get a serial expander for my M1 to automate the lights but for now I will put them in as my time permits.

BTW if you use ELK products Elcor in Ronkonoma ( I think) has decent prices if you are in the business.

Back