Where To Run LV Wires In Attic Space (New Construction)

Work2Play said:
Eeeeeeewwwww - that would drive me nuts!

Not my home, but one I worked on. That's how almost every home I've worked on is wired by the electricians... shortest runs from point A to B in most all cases.

In FL the LV was done separately and after the electrician, telephone and RG6.  That said I did originally ask of the contractor to let me see his work / and got a bid on doing the extra LV.  I really didn't like what I saw and the contractor did offer me the opportunity of time before the drywall went up.  The house is a one story elevated ranch with mostly high ceilings which took a good part of a year to build - mostly because of the HOA thinking they knew more about construction than the builder.

In the midwest (IL) the contractor screwed up from the get go doing whatever - big issue was the contractor planned mickey mouse HVAC stuff.  The straw that broke the camel's back was the mickey mouse excavation job. The contractor didn't have a clue about electricity in general (LV was not even a concept). I cancelled the build and did get a return on initial deposit.  That said what irked me was the time spent / wasted with said mickey mouse builder.  (well and noticed many others in the area worked exactly in the same manner). 

A friend of mine recently custom built a home nearby and mostly what he did was just stop the contractor if he saw something he didn't like and would then get credit a la carte and subcontract a better resource.  This was basically just relating to his money and his spend mostly.  (which is a bit of what was done in FL)

drvnbysound said:
I suggest you wait until the electricians are done with their work... then you'll get a good idea, and this will ensure that nothing you do will be in their way.

Here's an example of how it's going to end up though:

index.php
That wouldn't pass in a lot of places in the US either. They were pretty reasonable here (Midwest) in general but they insisted all wire runs had to go through drilled holes or be run along a board for protection. In the attic they were run along 2x4s added perpendicular to the trusses. I many places they do double duty - bracing and protection for wiring. They wouldn't even allow wires run on the bottom of joists for the lower level with a drop ceiling without a protection board. They were I beam joists with punch out holes that were used for most of the runs. I ran pvc conduit under the joists in a couple places just for the protection - no boxes at the ends.

And if you get caught drilling a hole in an engineered truss they will make you replace the truss. Try doing that one after the roof sheeting is installed! :(

Another thing I did was add some walkways in the attic by nailing 2x4s across the truss braces at the center above the level of the insulation and putting some OSB on that.  Did that before the drywall.  I suppose some areas might have rules about how this is done or not allow it but I didn't have any issues.  If you have limited headroom this might not work but I had plenty of room.

This was really helpful when I needed to go back and add a few things.

Back