Whole Home Audio, What To Use, Local Source Override?

N49atv

Hello,

Im currently in the design phase of a home. The structural prints are done, and off for budgeting. Im working on electrical/security/HA. Ill be supplying the HA/Security, so the electrical shouldnt be too far off a regular house.

Anyway, Im not sure 100% the route im going. I was originally going HAI for HA/Security/Audio. Though now Im looking at Homeworks + Security (thinking HAI), and audio controller. My pricing on HAI is quiet good compaired to online retailers.

My main questions are...

Is Hi-Fi 2 good? Im not an audiophile or anything, id just like to be able to listen to music anywhere I go, in any of the bedrooms etc, and have whole house paging (if there was a DND feature that would be great). My builder generally puts in a lower level Nuvo, but he usually only does basement audio. Should I consider a combination of Nuvo instead?

Is there a way to have local input override? Id like to have docks/BT Moduals in each room. Im wondering if there is a way that if you put an ipod in a dock, it will play in that zone, regardless of whats going on else where? I currently have 13 different zones of audio, it would be ideal if I could have 17-18 sources. Sirius, itunes, Local FM, Pandora Radio, and the local inputs. However all the equiptment I look at, shows 8 Source max. I wont be using more then 8 sources at a time, heck id be lucky to use 3 at a time. Id just rather not have the kids (too small now for it) put an ipod etc in a dock, and have the system reject it because someone else is using a local dock/BT somewhere else.

The only way I can see doing this is with relays and outputs off HAI. If I designated a button on the wall to local input and it switched a source. However, that could cut off something to the other rooms. Other way is having locals all go to individual amps, that can be switched out, that would be bad for paging/cost.

Is it possible?
Perhaps 2 HTX2 via Ethernet?

One system that fits the bill pretty well is the htd.com systems - but I don't believe they're supported by any of the HA systems... they do however have local source in each zone, as well as DND, intercom, etc - all integrated.

The Nuvo systems also can have a local source - it doesn't count as a source in the whole home system; it's more of a local override - something like this unit. That lets you drive the speakers and override them from a local source. Russound also makes a nice intercom that can work in conjunction with a whole house audio system (doesn't matter if it's theirs or not) - but it's not integrated; it's more for sharing the same speakers.

I see HAI now has bluetooth modules (though don't see them for sale yet). That could clear up the source issue. Simple install 3-4 of these and label them as BT1 etc. depending on their range, if one is in use already you can try another. I suppose as long as it lets you know it's in use. No real info on them yet.

HAI 95A04-2

Pure speculation, but you should know from trying to pair - it'll fail. Bluetooth audio generally gets about 20ft.

I've been waiting for HAI's Hi Fi 2 Bluetooth RIM for months now. I bought my Hi Fi 2 system in February as an amplifier only - no RIMs or Volume Source Controls. I figured the bluetooth RIM would be out within weeks, and I really have no intention of using anything other than my iPad/iPhones with Pandora, Spotify, so what is the point of an inferior screen or 3.5mm jacks all over the place.

But they are taking forever to bring it to market, and now I'm forced to go into the automation closet and connect my iPad via the aux port on the amp. I can still control volume levels to each zone remotely (via Haiku), but I can't control the music without going back into the closet.

Release the bluetooth RIM already! The vision I sold my wife is fading quickly!

Just a thought - bluetooth has limited range and quality in my experience... what about plugging an Airport Express in the closet at the amp? I do this today with two airport express units - one upstairs in the master, and one downstairs in the livingroom. When we want music, we grab whichever iphone or ipad is handy, fire up pandora, youtube, mp3's, etc - and select whichever stereo we want it to play on.

The best part of this is being able to walk around with the iphone in your pocket to change playlists, volume up/down, etc - and it all works over wifi, so range is pretty irrelevant. For $99 or so, I'll bet you'd be way happier with that than with the bluetooth receiver - it's way more flexible, and automatically available to any iPhone, iPad, or any computer running iTunes (PC or Mac) and requires no pairing.

So how does that work for selecting source. Go to VSC, pick source 5 (or whatever) and crank volume? Allow iPhone to control volume. What if zone is on low volume, does it override?

What do you want from a local source? Ipods? or something else? If you are looking for streaming music, Ipods etc My2C is to dump the local input and use airplay to stream to a zone. Even if you go with the standard apple airport express ($99) x (number of sources you want) you're ahead of the game. My kids ONLY listen to spotify,itunes, pandora, etc.. and it's the only thing they use locally. I currently use an airport extreme and an old appletv for 2 zones. I'll probably add a couple more when the raspberry PI's are generally available - who can resist a $35 media source!

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure how you'd handle the volume situation - you'll probably set the volume static on the device and manage volume from your iPhone. The volume buttons work while it's locked even, so you can reach in your pocket and adjust volume without ever taking it out. That's what I do - set the volume static and never touch it.

And Mike-ma - what on earth are you eating in that picture?

Static volume works pretty well, however it's a balance of both most of the time. You'll need the ability to change system volume for most usability.

FYI the pic comes from my cooking blog - I'm eating fennel :)

What are the details on the HomeWorks QS? Did you figure out how to get the hardware and sw?

I've been happy with my Nuvo GC and MPS4. Don't forget a music server - skip the iDocks.

I prefer the keypads, to iOS control, 98% of the time. Much faster control.

Nuvo also has solutions for whole house paging (from a phone, via a Viking device) and doorbell muting. If you keep the whole-house audio separate from the video, control is easier. In rooms where speakers are shared, a local switch is used (wired to the Nuvo KP).

I have found a dealer to work with me. I tried to apply for the lutron residential installer program, but they wouldnt approve me without doing some radioRA installs first.

So HW should work. I was planning on using a Mac mini to start, then look for a media server as funds come available. I have to get speakers in the 2 floors first. In looking at it, I'm anywhere from 6-7500 to get 2 floors done at retail.

Can anyone recommend speakers? I'm not an audiophile, but would like something reasonable. Only place is like a little better speaker is on my deck.

A lot of people buy from Monoprice; also HTD.com will help you design a speaker system based on a drawing of your house.

If you end up going with Nuvo, you should use the MPS4/MPS4E/MPE (don't know what it's called currently) Music Port music server.

Monoprice in-walls and in-ceilings are OK, for non-critical zones, but I think Proficient is a slight step up.

I'd splurge on the main TV/HT area, and spend more there for good L-C-R speakers, paired with cheaper speakers for the rear surrounds.

In most distributed audio zones, the room acoustics will dominate the quality of the sound - speaker quality won't matter much.

Most of my speakers came with the house, but since moving in, I've installed Monoprice in the MBa and wiring closet, and Proficient on the deck and in the garage.

Yeah, the deck would get better speakers. The rest doesn't matter. I don't plan on having 5.1 anywhere except my theater. Which will all be dedicated equiptment.

Back