Wifi lighting: LIFX vs Hue?

N49atv said:
But you can take any of the apps, and listen in for ip commands over wifi

How exactly one could do that? I have another device that is controlled by iOS app and would love to integrate it into my system.

Hue bulbs are very directional. I'd stick with Hue BR30s since they don't look too good in typical A19 lamps for this reason.

picta said:
But you can take any of the apps, and listen in for ip commands over wifi

How exactly one could do that? I have another device that is controlled by iOS app and would love to integrate it into my system.
Isolate all network traffic. Either by disconnecting everything, or using a separate wifi network to talk to just the bulb, PC, and control device (no internet). Use a program like wire shark to monitor network traffic. Start monitoring, and send commands from iOS app. Read the logs and get the strings sent. Then program automation system (through something like cqc, or haiku, to send commands). So send power on, see what was sent, send all other commands. Keep track. Send power a few times in a row to be sure etc.

Guys have been doing this for TV control on lower model TVs. Such as Panasonic ST and GT lines. IP and 232 control are reserved for VT and ZT models, and not officially supported. Yet they have wifi IOS apps for remotes. So listen in. Save commands from data log. And test.

What do you mean by this?  None of my A19 Hue bulbs are anywhere near something I would describe as directional.  Maybe it's the style of my lamps?

In fact, both myself and my wife were surprised at how well these things distribute the light compared to our old CFL bulbs.  

kwilcox said:
Hue bulbs are very directional. I'd stick with Hue BR30s since they don't look too good in typical A19 lamps for this reason.

Hrmm ... my lamps have regular lamp shades, similar to your tall lamp in the back, and throw light all 360 degrees.  Later tonight I will turn them blue and see if I get any shadows.  So far this is something that we haven't noticed, but it doesn't mean it isn't there.

az1324 said:
He means that if you put them into table lamps or other fixtures that rely on the light coming out toward the base of the bulb you will get shadow patterns.  They are better in directional fixtures like downlights or uplights or fixtures with multiple bulbs.  The A19 style look good in PAR20 cans. 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Philips-Hue-Blue-2.jpg

Back