WIFI Thermostats

Mike P

Hi all, does anybody have any experience with wifi thermostats? I'm looking for something for our second home, I see there are some available for the mid $100 range. I'm not looking for a full blown HA system, I just would like to be able to pre-heat a few areas of the house before we arrive. All experience and advice would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

If you have no HA system at this house (or even if you do, IMO) the Nest is a great choice based on our experience. It cost about $250, though, for the "2nd gen" version, which I recommend over gen 1. You will see reports of people having problems but our experience has been great. Very reliable, and my non-techie wife can use it without problems either locally or via iPhone. Keeps track of daily and monthly usage and even sends you a report each month at no added charge (and no subscription required or even offered). Others here hate it b/c control goes through Nest's servers. I just like that it works well without a need for me to constantly tinker with it, and if my HA system goes down it still functions. And if you lose wifi it just acts like a programmable stat.

Back