Windows 7 support ending soon

Work2Play said:
Running up your power bill?  I think that's all their good for.  Anything you'd consider doing on a 10yr old computer could run on a Raspberry Pi now and use a fraction of the power.  It's kinda silly to keep repurposing old hardware just because it's around - it's usually big, loud, and expensive to run compared to some *very* cheap modern alternatives.

I've only recently become aware of the power that you can get in these little computers and I'm thinking it's time to replace a tower PC that's been running 7x24 with a couple of small boxes.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I'm just as interested in the old computers that you are still using, I have a PC here that still boots Windows 98 but haven't used it in years. It has a 500mhz AMD processor and little memory and I don't know what it could be used for. You couldn't run a modern browser on it. I'm thinking of upgrading the OS and using it as a file server but I'm not sure that it is even up to that task.

What do you use 30 year old computers for?

Mike.
 At this point they are nothing more than toys, I don't use them all the time, I have a bunch of old NeXT, Amiga and Atari computers. The value on some of them has been rising fast if EBAY pricing is to be believed. 

I dumped my CoCO 2 and CoCo 3 computers before the garbage collectors started charging to take them away. :)
The desktop computers  got really hard to hide in a garbage bag. :)

We're fortunate here in Maryland that they're smart about hazardous trash.  It's free with in-state ID to drop off.  And they have sections for various stuff like metals, masonry, computers, bikes, etc.  The thinking is whatever money gets spent to handle this is going to be far less than the long-term dangers of people throwing crap into the Chesapeake Bay watershed.

wkearney99 said:
We're fortunate here in Maryland that they're smart about hazardous trash.  It's free with in-state ID to drop off.  And they have sections for various stuff like metals, masonry, computers, bikes, etc.  The thinking is whatever money gets spent to handle this is going to be far less than the long-term dangers of people throwing crap into the Chesapeake Bay watershed.

Don't take that for granted. My town charges so much to dump stuff that it encourages people to dump in the streets. A few years back someone actually dumped a 16' fiberglass boat on the side of the road in a remote area. That is unusual but you see a lot of brush and furniture and stuff and then the town has to go pick it up anyway.

Mike.

LarrylLix said:
I dumped my CoCO 2 and CoCo 3 computers before the garbage collectors started charging to take them away. :)
The desktop computers  got really hard to hide in a garbage bag. :)

Well going by Ebay sold listings I could sell just the add-on cards in one of my Amiga computers for about 2K, my computers are not going in the trash. 

Here is the sold listings for Amiga accelerators. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=amiga+accelerator&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Waynedb said:

Well going by Ebay sold listings I could sell just the add-on cards in one of my Amiga computers for about 2K, my computers are not going in the trash. 

Here is the sold listings for Amiga accelerators. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=amiga+accelerator&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1
Ha-ha! Awesome!

Brings back the good ole' days when I spent $1000 on a a 64K static ram board. (Never could afford to populate the board past 48 kBytes. It could heat the house now! :)
Dynamic ram was not trusted then, as it would lose random bits.  IBM brought out 9 bit wide ram to parity check every byte and shut it down if an error was detected.

I miss the Motorola CPU days with Hex keypad hacking.....well maybe not hand assembling! :)  They were so much better structured than the 80XXX CPUs.

Yeah here kept my old Amiga computer which had been upgraded and installed in a new case.   

Kept the Video Toaster and genlock for it.  Personally had much fun with it.  

Helped a television network in Chicago switch their old business report with wooden flipping numbers over the the Amiga Computer / toaster et al way back.    Many guru errors in the beginning of this endeavor. Very thin budget there.  (cheap)

wciu.jpg

Well too used software running on a Commodore 64 and tape drive to move the satellite dish for downloading television programs to be rebroadcast around that time.

Had a Pet computer running one of the first Commodore BBS's in the midwest. DIY'd a bunch of Ventel modems which tapped in to a telephone box outside of a business we owned at the time. (until phone company disconnected the lines).

Got rid of the old tower computers / crt monitors / UPS batteries, TVs, and a large whole house UPS finding a waste hauler that left a bin for a week in my driveway.   Company told me I could put anything in the bin except for cement stuff.

I have a couple of the Video Toaster setups, they were very cheap compared to what it used to cost to do what they can do. Many small cable companies were still using Amiga/Toaster setups long after Commodore went under. The Video Toaster lives on in the Newtek Tricasters. Where I live you can still get analog TV signals if you point an antenna in the right direction, some of the adds on those channels look like they still might be using an Amiga/Toaster setup to generate them. 

Yes here on a lark (and a bit bored at the time) learned a bit about television stuff.  Thinking it was Jones cable and they had leased a closed school and turned it in to a production facility for cable TV.  A small group of us in town volunteered to create a cable show and I learned a bit how to edit using one of those expensive analog video editing boards they had.  We did a cooking show.  I was never in front of the camera.  A friend and local teacher was the cook.  He liked to eat and typically kept the before during and after preparation food.  We did in studio stuff and learned to use their mobile video van and did do a couple of BBQ shows.

Had a lot of fun with this. 

A dark note....RIP to the star of the show as someone in the 1990's snuck in to his home while he had fallen asleep on his recliner and slit his throat with a kitchen knife.

Around the same time did a visit to the TV station in Chicago.  Most of their equipment was from the 1950's and 1960's.  (station was started around 1964 or so). It was kind of a do you want to work here visit.

mikefamig said:
A few years back someone actually dumped a 16' fiberglass boat on the side of the road in a remote area. 

The joke is if you want to get rid of a boat, never put a sign on it that says free.  But put a 'for sale' sign on it and it'll be gone overnight.

pete_c said:
A dark note....RIP to the star of the show as someone in the 1990's snuck in to his home while he had fallen asleep on his recliner and slit his throat with a kitchen knife.

Yeesh, Pete, there's reminiscing and then THERE'S SOMETHING LIKE THAT.  Oi.

Which, of course, demands further details.

Yes he was a friend of mine from the early 80's when I was tinker with computers.  Got involved in the beginning of a computer club and a newsletter.  We worked on the newsletter together and he was a journalism class teacher in a local high school.  He had a nice budget to purchase all sorts of computer stuff and I would test stuff to purchase at the school such that I hung around a bit.  We would spend hours editing the newletter and later on editing the cooking show. 

In the 1980's when I would visit Joe at his home his wife would make cookies.  She was a great cookie maker.

His family room was very bloody (every wall, ceiling and carpeting was full of blood) as he ran around for a minute or two with a towel on his neck then was able to open his front door to wait for the paramedics on his porch when he died.

I got a phone call while working (during the time this was happening) and assumed that he did this to himself while tinkering with whatever (he was a tinkerer) in his home and just mentioned that I would go to the hospital to see him after his accident.

Today his death is a cold case and mostly forgotten. 

pete_c said:
Yes he was a friend of mine from the early 80's when I was tinker with computers.  Got involved in the beginning of a computer club and a newsletter.  We worked on the newsletter together and he was a journalism class teacher in a local high school.  He had a nice budget to purchase all sorts of computer stuff and I would test stuff to purchase at the school such that I hung around a bit.  We would spend hours editing the newletter and later on editing the cooking show. 

In the 1980's when I would visit Joe at his home his wife would make cookies.  She was a great cookie maker.

His family room was very bloody (every wall, ceiling and carpeting was full of blood) as he ran around for a minute or two with a towel on his neck then was able to open his front door to wait for the paramedics on his porch when he died.

I got a phone call while working (during the time this was happening) and assumed that he did this to himself while tinkering with whatever (he was a tinkerer) in his home and just mentioned that I would go to the hospital to see him after his accident.

Today his death is a cold case and mostly forgotten. 

Pete - I've read so many posts from you over the years and been intrigued by all of the technical topics and projects you've been involved with.  Now you throw this at us.  An interesting life for sure!

Back