Wink gets a poke in the eye

Dean Roddey said:
What is the Leviton Zigbee Interface Module? Is that basically the Zigbee equivalent of a VRCOP? If so, that could be a very useful thing. Does it come with the HA profile on it or something like that?

BTW, I would just say that price is not everything. Leviton isn't perfect, but I'm guessing their product is likely more solidly built and engineered. You do tend to get what you pay for. RA2 is not cheap, but it works without drama.
I do think the Zibgee Interface Module (ZIM) is like a VRCOP.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-81A00-2WHZB-MicroControl/dp/B007GACCMQ/ref=sr_1_1

HAI originally designed it for a few purposes. It sold one version of this to electric utilities with the Smart Energy (SE) profile so people could get a view of what their smartmeter was saying their energy usage was. In this case it was a standalone device that displayed their electrical usage. 

With the Home Automation (HA) profile, I believe HAI made two version of this box, but they may actually be the same firmware.  One was designed to be a standalone device you put by your bedside to control your Zigbee locks, lights, etc.  The other design is a front-end for an OMNI like the Z-Wave devices out there.  Zigbee on one end, and a serial connection to the OMNI.  You can actually pair it to HA Zigbee devices with PC Access when connected to the panel, OR you can run it on its built-in battery and pair it to devices without being connected to the panel.

Dean Roddey said:
BTW, I would just say that price is not everything. Leviton isn't perfect, but I'm guessing their product is likely more solidly built and engineered. You do tend to get what you pay for. RA2 is not cheap, but it works without drama.
I have nothing against paying for quality, but that is not the case here.  Honestly, HAI was never a great software company. Hardware was O.K. and reliable, but software was not their specialty.  After they got purchased by Leviton things have really went down hill.  Not much new has come out and many people here question if Leviton even cares about the HAI line. We are assuming they are developing something new, but their lack if interest in the current stuff is pretty evident. As i said, this ZIM I purchased had firmware that had major problems on it. That shows me they just don't care.

The ZIM could be hooked to a computer and connected to CQC, but I'm not sure the interface is documented, but it can't be very complex.

pete_c said:
I have not read about any issues with the ZIM here on the forum; well maybe one relating to the Zigbee Omnistat (polling?). 
Hmmm... really. Maybe this one..http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/27738-yale-zigbee-locks/
Basically anyone who says their Zigbee locks don't work is saying they found yet another bug in the ZIM.  I just purchased one brand new and it came with V15 firmware. Basically many functions including the clock DID NOT WORK. Leviton people said, oh, you don't want to use that firmware. Try going back 2 or 3 versions. At least its easy to update with Zigbee.

That pairing stuff sounds similiar to the issues I had with the power watching 120VDC Zigbee Securifi Peanut plug. 

I had to update the firmware on the Peanut Plug but initially had to downgrade the Almond + firmware / then update the firmware on the Almond +.   Some mentioned it to be sort of hokey pokey?  Power stuff was all zeros before I did this.

The updating of the Zigbee Peanut plug on the LCD display was slow; I didn't time it though.  I thought initially too it was the distance between the Peanut and the Almond + that wasn't right (too close or too far???)

Whomever says the IoT is not worthwhile has never tried the GE/Quirky EggMinder.  https://www.quirky.com/shop/619
I got mine today for about $7 on Amazon. (Looks like it has gone up to $10 now)  You pair it with your Wi-Fi using the Wink app., then you load it with eggs. It holds 14, just in case you have some extras. Then the power of the Internet helps to simplify your life. When you want to use an egg, a small blue LED tells you the oldest egg. When you get low on eggs I get an alert, and same when eggs are going to go bad. I can also check my egg status anywhere with their app.

With a few mods, they could sell this for $1000's to chicken farmers. If they simply added a heater, this handy device could tell farmers when their eggs will hatch, and when they have hatched. That way, even when the farmer is away from the farm he/she will know the status of every batch of eggs.

Now I know those of you out there will say, but wait, what if your Internet goes down, how do you know how many eggs you have?  We'll its true the total may be wrong, but the last known info will be displayed. Certainly my wife might be enjoying a large omelette while I'm at the grocery store shopping, but that is the risk i take being a technology pioneer.

sda said:
Egg Minder?  BFD.

Beer Minder?   Sign me up.
I think if you paint the bottoms of the cans or bottles white, I don't know why it wouldn't work. :rockon:

Get used to things like this. They are cheap to make. Amazon has a button you press to order more goods https://www.amazon.com/oc/dash-button
How long do you think it will be before the egg carton or beer six-pack orders the refills for you? Not too long.

ano said:
Whomever says the IoT is not worthwhile has never tried the GE/Quirky EggMinder.  https://www.quirky.com/shop/619
I got mine today for about $7 on Amazon. (Looks like it has gone up to $10 now)  You pair it with your Wi-Fi using the Wink app., then you load it with eggs. It holds 14, just in case you have some extras. Then the power of the Internet helps to simplify your life. When you want to use an egg, a small blue LED tells you the oldest egg. When you get low on eggs I get an alert, and same when eggs are going to go bad. I can also check my egg status anywhere with their app.

With a few mods, they could sell this for $1000's to chicken farmers. If they simply added a heater, this handy device could tell farmers when their eggs will hatch, and when they have hatched. That way, even when the farmer is away from the farm he/she will know the status of every batch of eggs.

Now I know those of you out there will say, but wait, what if your Internet goes down, how do you know how many eggs you have?  We'll its true the total may be wrong, but the last known info will be displayed. Certainly my wife might be enjoying a large omelette while I'm at the grocery store shopping, but that is the risk i take being a technology pioneer.
I'm not sure whether you like it because of its functionality or because you got a great deal on it.   :D Regardless, it seems to be the highest rated  Quirky product..

NeverDie said:
I'm not sure whether you like it because of its functionality or because you got a great deal on it.   :D Regardless, it seems to be the highest rated  Quirky product..
Have you read the reviews? Many are pretty funny. I do believe my life would go on without an Egg Minder, but it is a cheap test to get a flavor of the IoT. By this thread, I think most people here are pretty sceptical, but all I'm saying is don't knock it until you have tried it.  Sure, Version 1 of IoT including the Egg Minder is pretty unworkable and goofy. But this is V1. 

I was a smartphone analyst in 2007 when the first iPhone was announced.  I will tell you that I was in a VERY small minority of analysts and reporters who believed that touchscreens can replace buttons. Most said it would never catch on. Read what some very reputable sources said if you want a laugh.  I'm certainly not saying that V1 of IoT isn't silly, but people may want to refrain from laughing too much.

Back