Wireless Sound or Alert "thingy"

tonti

Hello everyone!
I have a new riddle that I need to solve. We have a large property (6.5 acres) with a lot of trees and we often are in the back where it is more secluded. I installed a powerful WiFi antenna that pretty much covers the entire property and gives relative solid connection to the home network.

When we are in the back of the property we want to get an alert whenever someone enters the driveway.

The driveway sensor is tied into the ELK system and also the ISY. So far I have installed a smaller piezzo alert in the horse barn (half way down the property) which helps when we work in the barn. But from the barn onward I have no power (other then solar) or no more solid lines. I also use an old iPhone4 mounted to the UTV or tractor for camera monitoring but it does not give an audible alert when you are not looking. This old phone does not have cellular anymore so I can not send text messages. Emails are slower and may not give me the sufficient reaction time.

Basically I want to get a sounding alert when I happen to run the chainsaw or work in the garden.

My preferred way would be something that allows the ELK or ISY to talk to an iPhone app directly and make this notify me audible (and vibrating). I searched but I have not yet found a simple app for that. All other apps have more of less the full functionality but lack in the sounding alert category. Does anyone know of such an app?

Is there a stand alone "thingy" that I can run of a power source (i.e. 12V batteries on the tractor, solar, ...) that connects to the WiFi network and gets notifications from the ELK or ISY?

I could install a large horn on the barn but I think this is too distracting for neighbors and horses.... plus there are the logistics of determine when to sound it and when not.

I use Pushover with HomeSeer.  Not sure if Isy or Elk have any support for it though, but it might be worth investigating.  You can pick different sounds for different types of notifications and different priorities and there's also an Emergency priority that must be acknowledged otherwise it keeps annoying you.

Cheers
Al

EDIT: Looks like Isy supports a few notification apps including Pushover: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i_Series_INSTEON:Networking:Mobile_Notification

tonti said:
My preferred way would be something that allows the ELK or ISY to talk to an iPhone app directly and make this notify me audible (and vibrating). I searched but I have not yet found a simple app for that. All other apps have more of less the full functionality but lack in the sounding alert category. Does anyone know of such an app?

Using Homeseer  / Elk Homeseer Plug-in you can create a custom touchscreen interface on the iPhone, Android or small Windows 10 tablet.

The Homeseer custom interface can show you anything.  Notifications can be audible (with speech) or visual. 

You can also integrate CCTV to your set up to get a true visual of what may be going on. 

IE: a console alert; then a press of a button to give you a visual.

While here on the forum always mention I dislike the use of wireless for automation.  Lately been playing a bit with RFID stuff (no dependencies on cellular phone and good range these days).

The RFID receivers / tags that I have been playing run fine on batteries and have a good range.  You can put receivers anywhere.  IE: if you are in the horse barn your tag will trigger the horsebarn reciever or if  you are in the garden your tag will trigger the garden receiver.  Using software  / Elk you can trigger text to speech alerts in the house, text pages, whatever you want.  Mapping your land and using a tiny GPS you can also create a Homeseer touchscreen these days with a picture of your property and geotrack the RFID/with mini GPS tags if you wanted to.

@DelInstallations - as always you are right on the money. In the beginning when we had no house on the property I looked at the Dakota wireless for that reason. Ones we build the house and I went the ELK/ISY route I decided to go with the simple Dakota driveway monitor and tied this probe into the ELK. Its monitored all the time but not tied in as a burglar alarm. This Dakota driveway monitor is working very well and I am happy with it.  

@pete_c - I am not familiar with the RFID stuff other then in toll way and badge access. Are you talking about a network of RFID tied together? Wouldn't the receivers require power and a connection to the "mother ship" somehow and wouldn't this be network WiFi? I can see how this tracks where I am but would this address my need of an audible alert?

@Sparkman1 - I started reading up on this and it sounds like this is what I was describing without knowing it was there. It looks like I need the ISY network module to initiate the notification strings and the app to receive the notifications. It appears to be simple enough in the usage ones its set up. Does anyone have this running straight from the ISY? Any suggestions for setup?  

Thanks so far!

Are you talking about a network of RFID tied together?

Yes long range RFID tags and receivers.

Wouldn't the receivers require power

Yes; batteries work. 

and a connection to the "mother ship" somehow and wouldn't this be network WiFi?

Yes and no.  You can utilize WiFi or just proprietary wireless serial stuff (battery operated).

I can see how this tracks where I am but would this address my need of an audible alert?

You can integrate these devices with audible/text to speech alerts anywhere including your cell phone with just a wireless connection.

Note that all of the above relates to the addition of using Homeseer or automation software and RFID with your Elk panel.

Is there a stand alone "thingy" that I can run of a power source (i.e. 12V batteries on the tractor, solar, ...) that connects to the WiFi network and gets notifications from the ELK or ISY?

Here you can just put a elk touch console client on a little android mini 4.5" tablet.

Note the RFID would be used to track you on your property to the Elk mothership. 

The driveway sensor trigger to you would be easy peasy stuff; just connect a long range pager system with vibrating or tone pagers.

Back