Wiring for Omnistat 2

JonW said:
Where is the outside temperature defined in the OPII panel?

This is a great idea I'm going to convey to my mother in AZ.  She doesn't have an HAI panel, but she could at least set some programmed setpoints to chill lower prior to rate hike timeslots.

Just be aware there are two types (well, 3, I guess) of temperature sensors here.  The OmniStat can have sensors attached to it.  These only give you two total temperatures, indoor and outdoor, with multiple sensors being averaged in each category.  The individual sensors cannot be seen by an Omni/Lumina panel.

You can attach external sensors directly to the Omni panel.  All sensors connected this way can be used for automation programming by the Omni, as well as the indoor temperature from the OmniStat.  I don't know if the outdoor temperature from the OmniStat can be used, I haven't tried that myself.

So you need to think ahead a little about what you want the sensors for.  The sensors are all a little pricey from Leviton/HAI.

ano said:
Yes its called a Leviton 95A03-1TWH.  Its basically a remote control for the OmniStat2, but note it requires a separate power supply so that makes it pretty pricey.

They look nice, maybe when I have a lot of extra cash I'll try one out...

It mentions working with the Zigbee OmniStat, does that mean it can be wireless?

cobra said:
Just be aware there are two types (well, 3, I guess) of temperature sensors here.  The OmniStat can have sensors attached to it.  These only give you two total temperatures, indoor and outdoor, with multiple sensors being averaged in each category.  The individual sensors cannot be seen by an Omni/Lumina panel.

You can attach external sensors directly to the Omni panel.  All sensors connected this way can be used for automation programming by the Omni, as well as the indoor temperature from the OmniStat.  I don't know if the outdoor temperature from the OmniStat can be used, I haven't tried that myself.

So you need to think ahead a little about what you want the sensors for.  The sensors are all a little pricey from Leviton/HAI.

Thanks, that's what I was asking about.  I couldn't see how the extra temp sensor would be visible to any programming conditions if it wasn't defined in the zone list.  

I already have several of the HAI ER temp sensors and they works well.

cobra said:
They look nice, maybe when I have a lot of extra cash I'll try one out...

It mentions working with the Zigbee OmniStat, does that mean it can be wireless?
As far as I can tell, the Leviton 95A03-1TWH has to be wired to the OmniStat and I believe you can use multiple of these if you want, but the OmniStat can then use Zigbee to connect with the panel.  I have used the Zigbee OmniStat for years. It always has worked perfectly. 

The Leviton 95A03-1TWH is incredibly expensive. Its like $300 with the required adapter.

JonW said:
Thanks, that's what I was asking about.  I couldn't see how the extra temp sensor would be visible to any programming conditions if it wasn't defined in the zone list.  

I already have several of the HAI ER temp sensors and they works well.
Jon, the outdoor temp sensor just appears under "Temperature Sensors" in PC Access.  It doesn't really matter how the panel actually acquires the temperature, you still can use it in programming just like the OmniStat temperature, or any other temperature. Leviton could easily add support for Zigbee temperature sensors as well, but they haven't.

Don't confuse the physical device with the logical value.  Its just like any "unit" can be a Zigbee switch, or a UPB switch, or an X-10 switch or just about any kind of switch or a relay.

I do extensive programming with my OmniStat2, and it doesn't use a zone, its Zigbee.

Yes, agree with ano.

If you haven't programmed the Omni/Lumina, when you do, you will find that temperatures are their own category.  They don't get a zone, really.  The Omni has multiple kinds of data types, at least that's the way I would think of it.  Units (like lights, of all different technologies), thermostats, locks, etc... different data types.

I fully understand physical/logical mapping.  I just wasn't aware that PC access added those extra temp sensors automatically to the PCA condition list.  I wrongly assumed you'd have to create an entry for it somewhere.

Off topic....
I'm actually using several virtual/logical Zwave thermostats in my system.  My system has ZERO actual Zwave devices, but every temperature/setpoint from my Jandy pool/spa system is mapped to a virtual zwave thermostat and every pump/aux output in the Jandy system is mapped to a virtual light/unit.  I have an embedded controller that emulates a VRC0P and keeps the HAI and Jandy systems synced with each other.

Back