Not all long 'Flex Bits' are the same

Neurorad

For long Flex bits (aka D'Versabit), made by Klein, Greenlee and others, this screw/auger tip

bm-qtt_2.jpg

is MUCH better than this

FLEX%20BIT.jpg

Don't even think of buying that second one.

I have 1 of each (different diameters), no comparison.

I saw a pretty interesting tool at Lowes the other day - it was a handle you use to grab onto the drill bit at about mid-point to help angle/guide it... anyone tried one of those? I'm not able to find it online - don't know what search term to use.

+1 on the screw-tip drill bit - with the 2nd option I've had them bounce and just go out through the drywall into the room instead of through the stud - the first one grabs the wood and pulls itself through pretty effortlessly.

Work2Play said:
I saw a pretty interesting tool at Lowes the other day - it was a handle you use to grab onto the drill bit at about mid-point to help angle/guide it... anyone tried one of those? I'm not able to find it online - don't know what search term to use.

+1 on the screw-tip drill bit - with the 2nd option I've had them bounce and just go out through the drywall into the room instead of through the stud - the first one grabs the wood and pulls itself through pretty effortlessly.

You mean one of these

For long Flex bits (aka D'Versabit), made by Klein, Greenlee and others, this auger tip

is MUCH better than this

When that is all you have (got a LOT of use out of mine) somehow you can make it work!:lol:
FLEX%20BIT.jpg

I use one of those guide handles occaisionally.

It really came in handy when I had to go in the wall through the hole left from an electrical box and bend the shaft and guide the bit all the way up to the top plate without poking the bit through the drywall on the other side of the wall.

Without the handle the bit wanted to dig into the paper backing of the drywall as I was trying to feed it up into the wall.

Had to use a mirror to make sure the bit was centered in the top plate before I started drilling.

The handle allowed me to apply pressure to the bit upwards rather than sideways, and allowed me to keep the spinning shaft off the edge of the hole in the drywall so it wouldn't get any bigger or ratty.

+1 for the screw tip.

For success with that second, crapulent bit, I figured out that it must be exactly perpendicular to the top or bottom plate - not simple when flexing the bit.

I use that guide handle to keep the rotating shaft off the endges of the switch-height cut out.

I've literally spent an hour or more trying to make that crappy bit work, on some attempts. The last time I tried using it, I got frustrated, and bought the new one - took 8 seconds to chew through.

For success with that second, crapulent bit, I figured out that it must be exactly perpendicular to the top or bottom plate - not simple when flexing the bit.

I use that guide handle to keep the rotating shaft off the endges of the switch-height cut out.

I've literally spent an hour or more trying to make that crappy bit work, on some attempts. The last time I tried using it, I got frustrated, and bought the new one - took 8 seconds to chew through.

I won't argue that bit placement is key - you must be carefull or you WILL end up doing something that is "Not good".

Running a flex bit is way more art than science. I have drilled literally hundreds upon hundreds of holes with a flex bit. It matters little which bit you use. It matters how you run it. There are pro's and con's to both styles though I prefer the "standard" without the auger. Bits dull quickly and I like to be able to sharpen them which is difficult with the auger head. The auger heads, once dull, are great to keep around for any boring you may have to do under a sidewalk.

Anthony, I have suffered with that shitty bit on a number of occasions. The screw tip is INVALUABLE. I'll toss it after 100 holes, and buy another, when it stops performing.

The screw tip saves time, and prevents frustration.

Next time I visit Denver, I will bring the crapulent bit with me, and you can have it. ;)

I've used both and I prefer the "standard" style of bits. If they are kept sharp and sharpened correctly they will drill just fine. But the biggest advantage is the "feel" you get with them. You can tell from the feel what you are drilling into, and when the bit is just starting to emerge from the other side. The auger bits pull themselves through the wood then give up when getting close to emerging on the other side. But I use the nail-eater bits quite often too.

Anthony, I have suffered with that shitty bit on a number of occasions. The screw tip is INVALUABLE. I'll toss it after 100 holes, and buy another, when it stops performing.

The screw tip saves time, and prevents frustration.

Next time I visit Denver, I will bring the crapulent bit with me, and you can have it. ;)
I hope you travel by car as I'm pretty sure you'll never get a flex bit through airport security. I have a better idea, you come to Denver and volunteer to do a bunch of work for me and get some "on the job" training. I'll learn you good...

I'll be sure to check it; will fit into my ski bag.

Is morning or evening better for you, to pick me up at the airport?

Will you make me get some ink done if I show up without my tool bag? :rofl:

I'll be sure to check it; will fit into my ski bag.

Is morning or evening better for you, to pick me up at the airport?

Will you make me get some ink done if I show up without my tool bag? :rofl:
Tattoos are optional but, you won`t fit in without at least a few...on your hands.

Back