Recommend a glass break detector?

snakevargas

It's time for me to install a glass break detector or two or three. The primary room is about 30x12 with windows on one 30' side and both 12' sides.

1) How many glass break detectors should I expect to need?

2) Are the wireless detectors a viable option (I have Elk M1G and GE wireless receiver) or should I take the time to go wired?

3) Is the NX488 the GE detector that I should be looking at for a wireless option? Any reports on reliability of this detector?

4) If I do have glass break detectors then does that eliminate the need for me to install window contacts on all my windows? or is there still a few that an intruder could force a window open without breaking it?

5) Is the TV located in this room going to set off the detectors if/when a character breaks glass in a TV show? Must these only be armed in away-mode for this reason?

Thanks!

1. Depends on the window coverings and how acoustically active the room is, but you should be able to go with 1 centrally located.

2. I would go wired before RF any day..

3. From memory, I believe there's a single option for GE or Honeywell, depending on what the host system is. They work, but I'm not a fan of the Shatterbox/pro units that GE is based off of.

4. IMHO, no. Maybe if you had casement windows that locked securely, but a glassbreak should be used in conjunction with contacts.

5. Generally, no, but if the audio is loud enough to overpower the mic it is possible to generate a false. Most GBD's require flex then the acoustic sound of framed glass breaking. Layman's terms is that glass bends before it breaks, so flex is the initial thud and that sound, followed by the acoustic sound of the glass breaking.

Better units are more difficult to "fake out" as some have reported testing by coughing or shaking keys, among other things.

Can you recommend a good wired detector? My preference would be to wire as well, but I'm also getting pretty tired of cutting holes in drywall and patching them up!

What do you dislike about the shatterpro units?

I've had problems with Shatterpros not tripping or false alarm issues, it appears there is no happy medium with them. We had a storefront with one installed 100% within spec fail to operate, even though it triggered with the appropriate tester. We had this happen a few times, and that was enough for us to get away from them. From what I know, their detection circuit and discriminator processor hasn't really changed in about 15-20 years.

We moved to Visonic Glasstechs, no adjustment needed, small footprint and really almost 0 false alarms. We also use Honeywell FG1625's and their variables, though I'm less keen on the adjustment factor on them.

I have several NX488's and they work great.  I wasn't a big fan of wireless, but i was wrong. It is great. I have 15+ wireless sensors, and never had a problem with them with the exception of a GE wireless smoke detector which seems to go through batteries faster than it should.  Other than the smoke alarm, I've yet to have one low battery in 8 years.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to get the NX488.

Back