DVR security hole

Gee, another security flaw in cheap Asian hardware? I try not to expose anything to the Internet that I don't trust. Getting ready to put all my internet automation devices  on a separate router, ala GRC "3 Dumb Routers" or a PFSENSE router because there are few devices I trust on the inside of my firewall.

Here just utilize PFSense.  It runs well and the web interface is easy once you get used to it. 

pete_c said:
Here just utilize PFSense.  It runs well and the web interface is easy once you get used to it. 

Do you run PFsense on a computer or did you buy one of their boxes - or did you roll your own box?

I DIY'd my own.  Easy stuff.  I utilize a commercial style BCM motherboard (which is identical to another name brand).

The new one has 8 Intel Gb network ports.  Outside do failover / multiple internet connections while inside do similar.

I posted a blog about it here in 2013.   I have updated some more since the original posting. 

The GUI is plug n play and the software runs circles around any SOHO box you can purchase or lease today for the home or small office.   There are FAQ's relating to just about anything you want to do with the box.  The BSD Pf Sense OS has done a good job seeing my hardware. 

Note my opinion based on the purchase/use of enterprise hardware for similar stuff but for 160K clients rather than your home stuff.

You can also purchase a support package from the PFSense folks if you want.

I am playing here with some automation stuff and prefer to keep the stuff on it's own interfaces.  I also utilize Gb managed switches today inside.

Back