$160 Managed 24 port small footprint Gb switch

pete_c

Guru
Recently I have had good luck with TP-Link stuff so decided to try their new small footprint managed switch.  Not sure if I should post stuff here or just write about it in a blog.

This switch was just released by TP-Link in the last few months or so:

Model: TL-SG1024DE  Price ~ 150-250 depending on where you purchase it.

Specs -
  • 24 10/100/1000Mbps ports provide instant large file transfers
  • Innovative energy-efficient technology reduces power consumption by up to 40%
  • IEEE 802.3x flow control provides reliable data transfers
  • 10K Jumbo frame improves performance of large data transfers
  • Effective network monitoring via Port Mirroring, Loop Prevention and Cable Diagnostics
  • Port and tag-based QoS enable smooth latency-sensitive traffic
  • Abundant VLAN features improve network security via traffic segmentation
  • IGMP Snooping optimizes multicast application 
  • Dimensions (W X D X H) 11.6*7.1*1.7 in. (294*180*44 mm)
  • Fan Quantity Fanless
  • Power Supply 100-240VAC, 50/60Hz

I currently utilize a similiar non managed TP-link switch inside of my Leviton can; mostly because it fits and it replaces a similiar small footprint 24 port switch.

Datasheet:

http://www.tp-link.us/resources/document/TL-SG1024DE_V1_Datasheet.pdf

Userguide:

http://www.tp-link.us/resources/document/TL-SG1024DE_V1_User_Guide.pdf

Attachments

• pic-2.jpg
    pic-2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 16
Good find Pete.  I recently bough an 8port Netgear VLAN capable Switch.  I think after rebate it was $30 or $40.  Mostly doing this so I can setup my wife's printer and a few other things on a NON-internet routable VLAN, but her PC would be able to access the internet.

Of course, I need to finish setting up PFSense.  I would like to get something doing something sooner than later, so I might try m0n0wall first.  Then to get the advanced features, transition over to PFSense.

Typically I get pfsense running, then after I start adding in all my NAT routing, I goof something up...or I am installing a feature that I do not understand and essentially, I regain access to the PFSense PC, I end up going into the basement and resetting the PFsense PC to factory defaults.  *sigh*

Have not had time to do anything about this, so there my new 8 port switch sits.  :-(

--Dan

Nice deal there Dan. 

You can get the unmanaged TP-Link 24 port Gb switch for around $100.  I have one of these "inside" of my Leviton Can.  The other new one is going to replace a 24 port unmanaged Gb switch near the rack.  One more will be sitting by the Tycon 24 port mid stream injector.

I like that the new one is fanless and quiet. 

Here I finished the PFSense box but haven't installed it.  I did do 4 Gb ports on it.  Installation is way different than the Smoothwall that I have been using for years.The Smoothwall firewall is on an older Via Epia 1200.  The new PFSense is on a BCM core duo do what mother board.  I want to try the load balancing thing with PFSense. 

Great find, guys, and appreciate you posting it here. Have been using a older 24 port Dell switch that's as loud as the dehumidifier running near it. Would love to retire that.

Personally on the work side I never did work with other than Cisco stuff so I am really unfamiliar with management of anything other than Cisco.  (kind of ingrained in me from say the last 15 years or so).

That said though I do have a couple of unmanaged Dell Gb switches that I have used some for the last few years in my home sand box.  (never have mentioned this over the years).  They still function just fine being on 24/7.

We recently got a TP-Link managed switch in the office, the full size one though and I have to say that I'm really impressed. The UI feels very responsive and fairly modern compared to some other managed switches I've used in the past, although the documentation could do with a bit less Chinglish in it if I'm to complain about something. Oh, and with regards to noise, it's virtually silent which is another bonus.

Yup here I received the TP-Link TL-SG1024DE yesterday.  Coincidentally also purchased and received new patch cables from Monoprice yesterday.

This switch is primarily just for one section / rack with only servers on it. 

The current unmanaged Gb switch does have two noisy fans in it which sometimes do irritate me.

Back