3G Cellular "gateway"

pgray007

I've been researching an HAI panel for our new house and noticed the HAI C3 Cellular Communications Gateway product. I like that it could conceptually replace a landline both for the alarm panel, and for standard phone service within the house. Historically we've not done much with our landline (other than field telemarketer calls) but it would be nice to run it over cellular, and thus get effectively unlimited voice use for the $10 it takes to add another line to our AT&T family plan.

All is not rosy in the HAI C3 world however, since it appears to be a GSM-only unit (GSM service is scheduled to sunset in 2016), and doesn't support caller ID. Is there an equivalent box that would provide dial tone to the whole house over traditional POTS wiring, essentially replacing the landline with a 3G cell connection? Ideally such a device would also support caller ID. I've googled to no avail but am probably using the wrong terminology.

Thanks!

I think there may be some confusion here....true......the 2G network of AT&T will sunset in 2016. They have been winding down that network all along and it has no effect on current 3G or 4G service. Your 'old school' AT&T Razr by Motorola was a 2G handset.

The GSM standard is used world wide, and also by the military, so no need to worry. Some people get by with a $100 prepaid card to use with the C3, and seems to do just fine.

T-Mobile is the other GSM carrier that should work with the C3, if you choose not to go with AT&T.

Uplink makes cellular "dialers" also. They are currently using 2G on the GSM network, but have just released a future upgrade guarantee so you can swap it out for a newer unit once 2G sunsets. Has to be registered through a dealer, and the dealer will get the new unit to replace yours, but at least its possible.

Im about to activate my Uplink, 2G and all. 4 years from now (if it actually happens) Ill get a newer dialer and be done with it.

Does the Uplink allow you to "BYO SIM" and act as a cell gateway for your home phone service? It looks like it wants to use some proprietary network from their website.

I've seen a couple of cellular interfaces, but only the HAI seems to be designed to replace your home phone service in addition to serving as a cell interface for an alarm panel.

Does the Uplink allow you to "BYO SIM" and act as a cell gateway for your home phone service? It looks like it wants to use some proprietary network from their website.

I've seen a couple of cellular interfaces, but only the HAI seems to be designed to replace your home phone service in addition to serving as a cell interface for an alarm panel.

No. There is no SIM that needs to be provided, its standalone from any other service in the house. Thats the way I prefer it anyway, I only want it to do its thing when reporting alarm stuff.

I've used (and still have somewhere) some tellular devices that have data and voice ports - they could easily replace your phone service.

It's a slow transition, but in a few years POTS will be a thing of the past. I held out for a LONG time specifically for security, but now I use SIP and cellular, and It's so much cheaper and better.

I've used (and still have somewhere) some tellular devices that have data and voice ports - they could easily replace your phone service.

I was checking out Tellular... it looks like their stuff is designed primarily for the alarm panel and requires some sort of activation. Any idea which device you have? Also it sounds like you're using something else for your home service's cellular interface... care to share?

That raises an interesting question to me as well. I have a Uplink 2550ul and the "dealer" is Alarm Relay. Do I need to ask them to pay the "nominal" monthly fee or do they already?

Uplink makes cellular "dialers" also. They are currently using 2G on the GSM network, but have just released a future upgrade guarantee so you can swap it out for a newer unit once 2G sunsets. Has to be registered through a dealer, and the dealer will get the new unit to replace yours, but at least its possible.

Im about to activate my Uplink, 2G and all. 4 years from now (if it actually happens) Ill get a newer dialer and be done with it.

Not 100% true. Uplink's units come down to both the original purchaser (invoice required) as well as a steeper cost overall in order to get the "free" unit when transitioning between the cellular formats. From what I've figured, it's not truly worth the overall cost at the moment, basically it comes down to the equivalent of a layaway plan.

@nolarola: You can't just pick an Uplink unit, even one already installed, then say I want it to be covered for future replacement. Not how the plan works or is designed.

Agreed. I actually meant in my case I'd probably just buy a new one myself since the one I do have did not come from a dealer.

Back