4-way confusion

Bzncrewjr

I'm trying to replace a 4-way circuit with 3 Leviton Z-wave switches.   A Master switch and 2 auxiliary switches.   The master controls the load and the other 2 send signals to the master.

I know how to do this if I place the master on the left of the diagram.
But that switch is in the garage and doesn't have the dimmer buttons on it.   I'd like the master to be the middle switch in this diagram.
I can't wrap my head around how to do this.

4-way-switch-wiring-diagram.jpg

It'll probably help to know if you have the Leviton switches already or you are looking for guidance on which to install.

One way to handle this is to install 3 ZWave devices, but only have one control the load. If that is the case, you don't need the 3/4 way wiring. You wire one switch to the load(s). Then the others just need power and you program them to control the load switch. (This is also the most expensive solution, but generally the most flexible.)

Some switch models support a ZWave master that can be wired to dumb slaves. The slaves are then not ZWave devices and generally just need between 2 and 4 wires connected to the Master. This setup depends on the particular kind of switch, and is cheaper than installing ZWave devices in all the switch locations.

I have:
1 -Leviton DZMX1-1BZ
and 
2 - 

Leviton VP0SR-1L

The installation instructions seem to say that each remote needs both a white neutral and a hot (black) wire and a traveler (red/yellow) wire.

So I'm fine up until the traveler on the last swtich.  I run out of options.

Now I could put the actual switch at the end/beginning of the circuit.  But that puts them inside one of the garages and not in the house where I might want to actually control the dim part of this circuit.

The inside is where the 4 way switch is now.   

I'll try that.

However the Leviton VP0SR-1L have a black terminal that they seem to want connected to something.   
I'll leave it off and see if it works.

RAL said:
I believe wiring it this way will give you what you want.

index.php

Bzncrewjr said:
I'll try that.

However the Leviton VP0SR-1L have a black terminal that they seem to want connected to something.   
I'll leave it off and see if it works.

In the instructions here, in step 4d, it shows that when there is a neutral present, the black wire on the slave switch does not need to be connected.

Ahh... I see that now.

It says "no LEDs" which I assume means the LED on the remote switch.   That's fine because that switch is in the far garage and probably rarely be used anyway.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

--Russ

RAL said:
In the instructions here, in step 4d, it shows that when there is a neutral present, the black wire on the slave switch does not need to be connected.

Okay... I'm crying "uncle" on this one.

I've tried the circuit above.  No joy.   Aux switches do nothing and master switch acts weird.   Pressing toggle dims light.  Releasing toggle returns to full brightness.
It worked with the first aux with black connected and no 3rd aux.   Master and aux functioned fine.  When I added a 3rd aux switch, it stopped working from aux switches.

So the dimmer is going in the far garage.  Not a big deal.   I won't be actually using the dimmer, but aesthetically I wanted the dimmer INSIDE the house.  :(
At least the Z-wave still works.

This is what the instructions have for a 4 way and is what I did.

11ttmch.png

Based on the Leviton picture and the wiring diagram for your setup, you should be able to make it work, but it seems like you have the switch remotes, not the dimmer ones. 

Wow!   Nice catch.   I didn't even know there was an aux dimmer.  I bought the aux switch.
Perhaps that's why they don't work well.    They do work as illustrated above.   Just not with the dimmer in the middle.

I needed a dimmer for exterior lights to automate on at dusk.   I really don't need to dim it from the switch anyway.

I may buy a couple of dimmer aux switches and use these on another circuit.  

Thanks!

Sparkman1 said:
Based on the Leviton picture and the wiring diagram for your setup, you should be able to make it work, but it seems like you have the switch remotes, not the dimmer ones. 

Back