500 Gig SATA Drive for $109.99 + FREE Shipping

JohnWPB

EDIT: Expired now $169.99

Ok, with a few posts in the other HD special I posted a few days ago, regarding the small size of the drive, this is just about as good as it gets! This offer is from Fry's Electronics, which I think everyone should be familiar with :unsure:
4551377.box.GIF
  • Size: 500 Gigabytes
  • Manufacturer: Maxtor
  • Speed: 7200RPM
  • Buffer: 16MB
  • Interface: Serial ATA/300
  • Price: $109.99
  • Shipping & Handling: FREE
Check it out here

Keep in mind that at $0.225/gig, this is a good deal, but it's not unheard of. The difference here is that you're seeing sub-$50 prices as they size is smaller. I just picked up 3 500GB SATA 16MG drives for $120/each, so that's $0.24/gb. The 200GB/$45 would make a much more compelling boot disk though, esp as it's getting harder to find motherboards that play nice with IDE. Considering hard drives were $0.25/gb about 9 months ago, i'm surprised they haven't dropped faster. I guess those Seagate/etc layoffs could mean that the 25-50% per year price drops are going to slow down.

Bring on the <$200 750GB SATAs, so we can build easily build multi-TB RAIDs with no heat/noise issues!

Well, how about a Terabyte this time for ~ $200 :p :) :)

It may be for Maxtor. My recent Seagates were 5 years and I think Western Digital is 5 years (at least on some models).

How odd; I recently bought nearly the exact same drive from outpost, but it had a 3year warranty.

Yeah maybe; although when I click on the link in the other thread in this forum, it takes me to this drive.

It's just another example of the man trying to hold you down!

I wouldn't trust a Maxtor with my Recycle Bin contents. I've seen too many of them have main bearing failures. Be warned; when the drive starts whining, you have less than 30 days before it goes Kaplut! Your results may vary but I have never owned one that lasted and I've been using various hard drives since 1986.

Just my .02

based on my experience, all drives are crap. They are all disposable media to me :/
Dang, I've never had a drive to fail. Well other than the one that lightning took out a few weeks back. I still have a 2 gig 10 year old drive in operation in my weather server.

based on my experience, all drives are crap. They are all disposable media to me :/
Dang, I've never had a drive to fail. Well other than the one that lightning took out a few weeks back. I still have a 2 gig 10 year old drive in operation in my weather server.

Send it to Electron. He'll have it dead within a month if not a week.

Damn I wish I had $330 that wasn't earmarked for something else. I'd finally have that tb of space I want.

Damn I wish I had $330 that wasn't earmarked for something else. I'd finally have that tb of space I want.

Actually $220 will get you a Terabyte of space......

...absolutely right, I should have specified. Let me try again:

Damn I wish I had $330 that wasn't earmarked for something else. I'd finally have that RAID5 tb of space that I want.

Back