Access control for exterior gate- design questions prior to order

newalarm

I am looking to add access control for an exterior gate. I have been reading up on different ways of doing this.

I have a current metal gate that I am planning on re-purposing. I wanted to install a electric strike, with a double cylinder deadbolt latch (need to use a key both sides). I will need a push to exit button out of reach from people outside the gate.

I like the idea of a physical button in the house, but loved the idea of a remote control as well so that wherever we are, we can buzz people in.

I was looking at either doing the access control through an independent system such as a Trine 017tdc-2 or 3 (http://www.trineonline.com/pdfs/instructions/017tdc_018_instructions.pdf). This would allow control via elk and relay, and/or wired button inside house and at device (Push to Exit).

Alternatively, it could be done entirely off the elk with additional devices. Elk-6010 with M1XRFTW? But the 6010 wireless transmitter is not cheap, and probably more buttons than we need.

It goes without saying that power for strike would be independent of the elk's power supply. I am not sure how much mA an electric strike uses and if it is at use, or continuous. I guess battery backup would be good in case of power failure.

I plan to have the latch remain unlocked if the alarm goes off to allow police/fire to access backyard.

Are there advantages of having an independent system from ELK?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Don't use a strike....asking for problems over time.

Maglock outside with a pneumatic button for a REX inline with power feeding the mag. How it's integrated further varies, but basic is going to be through a relay to automate further.

my only concern with mag log is the continuous use of power (approx 250mA?). I believe an electric strike only uses power when it is unlatched right? How much power do they typically use?

Can you explain the rex line and pneumatic button? I have seen these but can't visualise how they would work.

The electric strikes are not too expensive and sealed. As long as i design it right, it should be ok i would imagine. This is for our own use, not for client.

I commonly work on a site with over 2500 access controlled doors, as we are their "in-house" vendor and maintenance. The majority of the issues are with electrified hardware, strikes or solenoid driven units.

Strikes are not sealed, there is an electric solenoid and moving parts. Some are better than others, but there is always going to be movable components and that typically adds to the failure points besides the electrical.

Power consumption isn't generally a concern vs. the lack of moving parts, not to mention the armature only needs to get close enough to the mag to secure, a strike has a lot of items, including alignment and preload to contend with. Usually the cost of a quality strike is equivalent to a comprable mag.

A REX is Request to EXit. On a maglock system, usually there's a pushbutton installed in proximity "press to exit" that has a pneumatic switch and diaphram that is adjustable for time delay, to either close or open the circuit for an adjustable amount of time (DPDT typical). Wired in series with the power feed.

This pneumatic switch requires a compressor/vacuum? I assume it could work with the elk access control?

Is there a way of softening the blow of the mag locking? I always remember them being a little loud.

Also, what unit/brands would you recommend for an exterior gate in an urban environment?

No, the switch has an internal diaphragm.

Example:
http://www.seco-larm.com/Pneumatic_Plates.htm

Usually the sound of a mag locking is dependent on how the armature plate is mounted and "slop" in the door/gate/etc. Most have some sort of rubber bushings or washers to help, but proper adjustment and alignment is key. A properly installed mag is for all intents and purposes, silent. We've had to install buzzers because in some applications, the end user did not know the door was unlocked.

A M62 from securitron has a integral consuit fitting, so that might make life a lot easier.

I am finally getting back to this and have some further questions. I am leaning toward the electric strike due to the fact that they are cheap, and use little power... I think. Can anyone explain how exactly electric strikes work? Do they use any power when locked? Is there a difference in power consumption in fail safe vs fail secure?

They use power to lock and to unlock depending on fail safe or fail secure. Typically the current draw is pretty much the same comparing similar models.

You get what you pay for.

I guess my question is, if they are just sitting there, do they consume power? or is it only at release. Does it make a difference if you have a fail safe or fail secure lock, or combination?

If they require power to lock the strike then they are using power just sitting there. (fail safe)

If they require power to unlock the strike when the gate is locked, power is applied for your timed unlock duration 5, 10 20, sec...) (Fail secure)

Back