Access Point Placement Questions (Split from other thread)

Honestly, even though it's Beta and not recommended for production use just yet, there are people using it in large scale enterprise deployments right now just fine - unless there are very specific features you need as a home user, I don't see it being an issue.  The basic networking stuff works fine - if there are bugs (or more likely, incomplete areas), they're in the much more advanced layers of networking or in the payment acceptance features (for hotspots) or places like that.  I'll keep an eye out though and probably post when it's official.

Work2Play said:
The thing I really love about the Ubiquiti AP's is that they're startlingly easy to set up - there are no confusing options there to screw yourself up with - you don't even have to look for the best channel - it'll do that for you.

And now with the newst version of their software, it's even better as they've allowed for zero-handoff, which most people don't understand but could have a real impact if you're walking around the houe on your laptop or tablet or phone - unless you disconnect/reconnect, normally your device would hold on to a weaker signal even if there's a better option - but they've fixed that with a new technology they've implemented.

Furthermore, if you have a large house or a ton of devices (think Ube) it's easy to add AP's as necessary without the engineering challenges of the past - and without having to think about how to make them work together and not against each other; if you need more coverage, either in another part of the house, outdoors, in a separate workshop, etc - it's as easy as plugging in the new device, going into the controller software, and hitting "Adopt" - and now you've just extended your network.

And if you really need coverage somewhere remote and can't get a wire back to your main network, you can even have one work as a wireless repeater essentially, making its own backhaul to another AP it can talk to - meaning you could mount one on a shed a ways from the house - and if it can reach the house, it'll do a wireless backhaul and extend coverage around your yard and into the workshop.

It's a pretty good line all in all.
Thats the part that really got me interested else I would have just put another DDWRT on the top floor and called it a day. I had that setup in the past and even though both the wireless networks had the same everything, the devices would still notice. We have a habit of dragging all the portable things up and down the house wherever we go and that setup did not work.

My Ubiquiti AP order is supposed to show up today. I plan to put one on the second floor at the landing (almost central place on the 2nd floor) up on the ceiling.
The second one on the first floor. I am hoping I would be able to turn off my router wireless altogether with this setup.

I will keep you guys updated on how it goes!

Back