ADT Pulse, GE Interlogix - Security + Z-wave HA analysis

twilo123

So I went to ISC Solutions this week (formerly ISC East) and came across a couple of security big names who have been pushing into HA more prominently lately so why not figure it out a little.

First one I ran into is ADT. In their booth they were starting to push ADT Pulse (on video monitors, no actual literature yet). ADT Pulse is the front end marketing machine for Icontrol. I ran into Icontrol a few years back at ISC East and was not impressed at all. They said they were shopping for commercial funding (said that they were working directly with GE at the time) and it looks like they got it (around 45 million i believe). The fund is independent of ADT. So it looks like they are partnering with ADT for the front end marketing while using GE for security (Simon entry level stuff it looks like) and z-wave for HA control.

Icontrol recently merged with another funded HA Saas called Ucontrol. Ucontrol is another fund based project with around 20-25mil backing. They are also the base of the OpemSMA that Dan recently posted an article on here OpenSMA Article. So we have a private fund software trying to create an open standard and now merging with another private fund Saas who is using GE and ADT as the hardware/front end marketing muscle.

The other one I ran into at the show is GE (formerly GE now UTC Fire and Security or something or other i forget offhand) Interlogix. Interlogix is not new but now partnered with alarm.com to put a zwave radio in the SimonXT and create their own Saas via alarm.com website. The alarm.com Interlogix piece handles the SimonXT security functions as well as zwave controller as part of the package. Alarm.com also has their own cctv piece which they incorporate as part of options in the package. from the information i gathered the zwave radio portion (built into the SimonXT) is actually from alarm.com not GE. GE supplied the security panel and alarm.com supplied the zwave interface (both are integrated into the Simon panel itself). GE is also trying to push their own little 3-4" touchscreen but obviously with mobile devices now they are a mute point. in fact their touchscreen can only do HA, virtual keypad for security, and a weather widget with option for dealer to push text alerts across the bottom remotely like 'your late pay your bill' etc. They were demoing the security panel, a GE hvac unit (zwave?), and schlage zwave locks. The Saas was obviously web based but i am sure alarm.com has some native mobile apps also.

So those are the 2 new players i see pushing into the game and coming from HA via the security angle. while this is not new (HAI and Elk are examples of security panels moving in security + HA realm) having major competitors like this with such deep pockets may push HA into more of a mainstream component. i don't own HAI or Elk so correct me if i am wrong but the strategy of the new players is to bump up RMR whereas HAI/ELK are more hardware sales business models. I think ADT is going to be around $50 per month for security + HA (typical monthly security monitoring contracts are around $30-35? (for end user - not dealer pricing). It will be interesting to see how the market changes from these entrants long term.

Back