Security system install for existing construction, help future-proof for Control 4

smenzer

I'm moving into a new house (existing construction) in a couple of weeks. We have a Frontpoint alarm system (wireless/cellular) in our current home and like it but aren't tied to it.

My only requirements for my new house are:
- wireless / cellular
- ability to control the system through an app from anywhere
- ability to connect it to a Control 4 system in the future when I get one

I need about 23 door/window sensors, 3 smoke alarms, 3 glass break sensors, 1 control panel, and 1 touch panel (for arm/disarm only).

I've heard from my C4 dealer that the Ademco Vista20p + ADT would be a good choice. However, ADT doesn't install that brand if you go with them directly.

An ADT reseller I talked to said that if I had an existing system in my house, they would be able to program/activate it with ADT monitoring for me (and he said the Vista20p would be fine).

So I would love your advice, as I see a couple of options:

1) Keep my Frontpoint system (and add on to it), but ONLY if I can hook it into C4 some day (It's a GE system with a GE Simon XT control panel)

2) Have ADT do a fresh install with their ADT Pulse system, but ONLY if I can hook it into C4 some day (I have no idea what brand they use)

3) Have the ADT reseller install my system with DSC components, but ONLY if I can hook it into C4 some day

4) Buy the Ademco Vista20p on my own (something like the p-1169-v20p-wls-honeywell-vista20p-security-kit from homesecuritystore for example [can't post links, sorry!]) and add on to it myself to get the system I need. Then, have the reseller come in and take my "existing" system and connect it to ADT for monitoring.

Does anyone have experience with this? I would prefer option 1 if it works with Control4. Otherwise, options 2 and 3 seem the most expensive so I'd prefer 4 if it's easy enough for a first-timer.

Thanks!
Scott

Friends don't let friends use ADT!  :)  Seriously, I would look at other options for monitoring.  Much cheaper and just as good or better.  Are you planning to use wireless sensors or add wiring?  Is there any existing alarm?  If you are doing the automation I would think you could do the alarm install, especially if with wireless sensors.  Fishing wire is the most work.

Haha thanks everyone.

I do want to use wireless sensors.  The current system I have from Frontpoint was super easy to install - it was just a base station that plugged into a wall outlet, then a bunch of sensors to place around the house and a call to front point to connect it all - probably took 30 min total.  

If I want someone besides ADT, are there any particular places to look for good reviews in the area?  I found a few on a Google search, but haven't found any third party/consumer reviews of them so it's hard to tell who is actually good and who just has a decent website/PR department.

If I buy the p-1169-v20p-wls-honeywell-vista20p-security-kit from homesecuritystore plus extra sensors, is it as easy of an install?

Regarding automation - I suppose Insteon is another alternative that is DIY - any issues with integrating that system with the Vista20p?  

Thanks,
Scott

For monitoring look at alarm relay (alarmrelay.com).  About $10 a month.  Will leave hardware recommendations to others that are more familiar with that.

I took a look at alarmrelay.com and really like it, will probably go with them, thanks Jim!

They recommended the Lynx Touch 5100 which looks really nice.  I see that this is Z-wave compatible (with an adaptor), but does anyone know if it's Zigbee compatible for Control4?

Thanks!
Scott

Right.  Are there any control panels out there (from GE or Honeywell/Ademco preferably) that are Control 4 / ZigBee compatible?  Everything seems to be z-wave only...

Scott

Elk does Zigbee. Believe HAI does also off the top of my head.

The issue is going to be interfacing a low-mid level panel via zigbee is going to be almost non-existant.

Back