Discussion/recommendations on expanding existing UPB / Z-Wave home system

geokscott

Looking for some feedback from the community.

I invested in UPB big about 25 years ago. I left most of it behind in one house in 2008, but took some of my extra hardware with me. In a new house since 2010 and did not intend on doing HA again. But I have used most of old my carried over UPB hardware to add new functions to my new house. The intent was not to automate the home, but mainly add new functionality easily where I needed it without having to do major wiring.

The original reasoning for going with UPB was reliability, simplicity, and having a system that was not dependent on a centralized controller. I really like being able to add a light or switch anywhere in my house and "the system" just works, and if something happens to me it will be there down the road without depending on some controller that might fail. (yes I know hardware could fail one day and someone would have to fix it and that's no simple task) My only gripe with UPB is the slight delay, but we have learned to live with it.

Other than my current small expansion of UPB devices in my home, I also have some motorized blinds that are Z-Wave. I also got into Home Assistant a few year back for fun, and have loved geeking out on that! I now have my everything I can in my home tied into HA. The DSC alarm, the UPB, the blinds, my solar system, several wireless tags, and such. I really like the abilities to automate and manage everything from HA. The HA system is only "a nice to have" and nothing is really dependent on it. Again, so if I get hit by a bus my wife can still carry on without it.

So, fast forward to today. I'm out of UPB devices and want to do more home wiring additions. The availability of UPB devices is scarce and expensive to say the least. I'm now contemplating adding in a newer technology. I will not go the route of WiFi devices ever due to the reliance on the home network being up. I already have Z-Wave blinds and back in 2019 I purchased a Zooz 500 series USB controller (pre 700 series) for the HA to manage the blinds.

So I'm thinking Z-Wave might be the way to go? I already have it in the house, so for simplicity why add another tech? I could upgrade the Zooz to a new 800 series and go the Z-Wave route for future add-ons.

Can someone talk me out of this strategy and why? I think I would now be dependent on a Z-Wave controller that's attached to the HA system for operations. I don't like that fact, as stated above, but I don't know what other options I would have? Opinions? Ideas? Blast away!

Thanks - George

Welcome to the Cocoontech Forum.

Here still using UPB. I also utilize Z-Wave and Zigbee. All of my in wall light switches are UPB and now all LED lamps.

I utilize Homeseer (since the late 1990's) and Home Assistant and a Leviton HAI OmniPro 2 combo system.

My interfaces are based in Windows embedded tabletops which also speak MS SAPI. I do mix TTS here with Microsoft and Alexa devices.

Recently testing all wireless in house number 2 using Home Assistant with Tasmota (non iOT) updated devices. Also installed a Ring Alarm / ZWave devices managed by Home Assistant. Works great. Wireless here is Ruckus APs which work great.

WAF is high here but she could care less about the automation and has told me she would unplug the servers should something happen to me.

It is really what you are most comfortable with. Personally never used just one protocol for my automation. (always a mix and match). IE: still utilize X10 for my Christmas lighting.

I am worried about this as well. I currently have a broken UPB (rare) switch that I can't find a replacement for at a reasonable cost. I don't have Zwave and I've been hoping to not introduce another protocol. I was considering looking into ESPHOME for light switches in the future but haven't done much research. Yes, it does require WiFi for connections to other devices but I believe it will still act as a switch without HASS and can do peer-to-peer communication with other ESPHOME devices over Wifi. I have a feeling it is much harder to configure than UPB.

Last edited:
@pete_c thanks for the feedback. I too used Homeseer back in the 90's. Left it behind many years ago. I started out with X-10 before I found and fell in love with UPB. Still have a few X-10 wireless things laying around.

@bbrendon thanks for the reply. I wish UPB kept alive as it's the only system that I'm aware of that was ever setup and forget, no hub or controller necessary, and it works great. What rare switch are you having trouble finding? In all the years I've used UPB, I have never had a failure, amazing.

Have a few UPB devices left (they really need to be removed now due to paddle issues), but have invested in Z-Wave and it has mostly worked out. Have some issues created by the 700 USB stick bugs, which have mostly been addressed now, but do have a 800 series ready to go, just haven't had time. No regrets in the bigger picture, since the Z-Wave eco system is huge, and Home Assistant just announced an official partnership (still need to post the press release).

UPB as a protocol has been extremely reliable, and while I can't recommend UPB to newbies just due to lack of choices, PCS is still actively supporting their tech/hardware (example). Great if you want to interface it with legacy alarm systems, but if you're considering Home Assistant, or already use it, Z-Wave is my recommended suggestion as well.

Back