Alternative to WIFI?

Good point BSR. I have always wondered about getting paged and it being real or false. If it's real what would I do? Enough false alarms and it must be false. I guess this is where the indoor cameras could come into play.

Yes, that's what I do! There are a lot of options. When you interface your security system (in my case, Caddx) with your other HA items (Ocelot and Homeseer) you can also do things like turn on all the lights in your home, announce when someone is coming into the garage (so they don't scare you when you come home), announce if a door gets opened (little ones running around), etc...

You can also do other things like turn power on to some indoor cameras only on an alarm (WAF factor if she is home during the day), etc...

I did have a false alarm but it was my own fault as we left a large "birthday" balloon in our family room that was next to a large window which gets the morning sun. The AC came on, blew the balloon across the window (thus changing the heat signature) and, you guessed it, the motion sensor alarmed!

I'm like Rupp.

I've been monitoring my site (to the best of my ability) and have never been "probed" by a driveby. i ue my IPAQ handheld to do my own driveby in the area and can find several wireless sites, but here's the kicker:

Well over 90% of the homes in the area have aluminum siding, as I do.. Signal levels are reduced to almost nothing, so this seems to be a means of protection.

(It seems to be the standard siding in all new oonstruction in this area. Personally, I don't like the lookss, but we didn't have a choice at the time.)

Hey GenevaDude:

Welcome to Cocoontech! We are very happy you decided to become a member here and look forward to your very knowledgeable contributions and advice!

Wireless does seem to be more of a personal issue than a technical one. A lot seems to depend where people are living as you and Rupp implied. I have cables available (arranged for their placements while house was being constructed) so I have the luxury of having them available where I need them. Had this not been the case I believe I would also be investigating wireless possibilities a little more!

Again, Welcome to Cocoontech! :D

BSR

Back