Any ideas on how to build a 1-wire oxygen sensor

james.sorensen

I have a bee hive I'm monitoring the temperature in.
I would like to add an oxygen sensor.

Has anyone done this or can someone give me an idea how to proceed?

Thanks, James

How about looking at automotive O2 sensors.
They output a voltage level based on the O2 in the exhaust?

You can measure and report the voltage with a DS2438 and a few parts.

I recently read some info on the web on a gadjet you can buy that lets you set the O2 sensor level to use with a hydrogen generator.
They had voltage figures that a typical O2 sensors puts out.
Seems to me it was around .45 volts, can't remember exactly.

Google O2 sensor and see what pops up.

I have a bee hive I'm monitoring the temperature in.
I would like to add an oxygen sensor.

Has anyone done this or can someone give me an idea how to proceed?

Thanks, James

When I was doing research that required measurement of concentration of O2 in soil gas, I used gas chromatography with cryogenic N2 cooling and a thermal conductivity sensor. That is not practical for your application.

As I understand it, the O2 sensors used in cars need to be hot and (most?) incorporate heaters. That may not be an obstacle for you if you have an AC supply (rather than battery only) available.

I'd have a look at galvanic O2 cells. Here's a recent review in the context of potential use for diving rebreathers for which the operating parameters are similar to your needs. It provides a list of 88 (!) companies that manufacture them: http://www.deeplife.co.uk/or_files/DV_O2_c...tudy_070329.pdf

(Based on the graphs presented, whether you use 1-wire or some other ADC to measure sensor output will be the least of your worries ... ;-)

HTH ... Marc

Hi,

An oxygen sensor is something I've also being toying with for a while, but depending on your situation many O2 sensors are galvanic in nature and in that respect consume a small amount of the O2 present. I'm currently hopeful of the new sensor from SMSI , definitely fits my requirements (Small footprint and solid-state), just waiting for a few technical specs.

G.

Back