Anybody have a "real" kodicom or competitorsystem?

IVB

Been reading the other thread about the eBay cards; wondering if anybody here has experience with the "real" system, or legitimate competitors?

Wondering about price points, funciton points, etc. I only need a 4-8 camera system. Probably 4-6 external cameras, 2-ish internal cameras.

I have used Swann's 4-channel DVR cards (x2 for 8-channels) and DigiViews 4-channel card.

Both are cheap, legit and decent. Swann is only 320x240 though and DigiView is 640x240 (just silly). The eBay Kodicomm is 640x480 and that is the only reason I upgraded.

Ultimately the 640x480 is glitchy on the eBay Kodicom and I am back to 320x240, but still like the card better than the others. Legit software would be nice though, updates would be nice, tech support would be nice, hehe but I simply can not afford the difference.

Still wondering if using some cameras that are 380lines in the 640x480 mode of DigiNet may have something to do with the glitches.

I would gladly pay for software that would work on multiple cards. I hate blowing a bunch of money on software only to throw it away because you want a different capture card... We are probably years away from any standards like that....

Vaughn

Just talked to someone who got me directional pricing on this.

*Roughly speaking*, a Kodicom 9ch 160GB DVR running linux with 6 cameras and cable is $3000 for equipment. He told me that many CCTV folks only do businesses as residential is much more expensive due to the lack of a "standard install".

I'm still going to contact a CCTV person to see what their quote is for parts&labor.

I'm not yet sure if I'm going to get one or not; jury is still out on the ROI of this as we don't have that much in the house to steal. $3K is a lot if all I get is the ability record the guy who comes in to steal our very little stuff.

PC w/300g $500
8 channel card = $150
8 cameras = $600

Total = $1,250 for an 8 channel system.
So give them $750 markup on the hardware, and that leaves $1000 for their software?

I don't pay $1000 for software. I wouldn't pay $200, ask HomeSeer... I wrote my own before paying that much ;-)

Yeah, I know, they have nicer hardware. Doubt those are $75 cameras they are selling either... I just wanted to let you know you can have the system for $1250. Actually cheaper probably, shave a hundred off the computer and Sam's Club has $50 outdoor night vision color cameras, $40 for indoor...

Kodicom, I got $79.95 for a copy of just the software. =) I think everyone who bought those ebay cards would give ya $100. How many thousands have they sold I wonder...

Vaughn

I don't have a whole lot to steal either...but a lot of burglars these days are carrying weapons and would do whatever they have to do to avoid being caught. They're not going find out that you have nothing until they're already inside.

I really wish that I had my camera system running when my lawnmower got stolen.

I'm curious about how much it will cost for a professional to install the system.
I've been actively trying to get everyone in my neighborhood to get camera systems installed. It would be amazing if we could catch a good look at a criminal casing out a house.

Because of the rash of burglaries in the neighborhood and a mugging across the street, I think that some people are now thinking about it.

hgupta1 said:
I've been actively trying to get everyone in my neighborhood to get camera systems installed. It would be amazing if we could catch a good look at a criminal casing out a house.

Because of the rash of burglaries in the neighborhood and a mugging across the street, I think that some people are now thinking about it.
Wish you lived in my neighborhood; i've been trying to do the same thing. We've also had a mini burglary wave, and on 12/31 there was an armed home invasion 6 blocks away ( "24"-style, complete with kneeling on the floor, guns at head) . The invasion was what kicked off this whole line of thinking.

The question I have to answer is this:
- If I'm the only house on the block with a camera:
A) Will it be analogous to having a gun in the house, where the odds of an event go up b/c criminals see the cameras and wonder what you have in the house worth protecting. Besides, what is a camera going to do - get a picture of the guy holding my family & I hostage with guns at our heads?
:blink: Deter criminals.

IVB said:
The question I have to answer is this:
- If I'm the only house on the block with a camera:
A) Will it be analogous to having a gun in the house, where the odds of an event go up b/c criminals see the cameras and wonder what you have in the house worth protecting. Besides, what is a camera going to do - get a picture of the guy holding my family & I hostage with guns at our heads?
:angry: Deter criminals.

They might look at the house as a potential fort knox, or even worse, a challenge.

I'm hoping that all these security measures should force Murphy's Law to kick in: Nothing is going to happen when you are ready for it.

It just occurred to me that I better give a relative instructions on how to review the footage in case something does happen to me.

Back