Anyone recommend a USB print server?

beelzerob

I'm sick to death of having to turn on the wife's computer to use our one printer. I had bought a netgear USB print server about 3 years ago, and have never gotten it to *reliably* work. It is certainly harder to configure than anything on this earth should be.

So, I'm just going to roll the dice again. I figure I have 2 options:

1) Find another USB print server. They seem to kick around at the $40 level.

2) Connect my printer (upstairs) to my WHS machine (basement). Since the WHS machine is always on, then all PC's would be able to access it. I would just need to use the cat5 I have in the nearby wall to connect the printer via USB to the WHS machine. Overall...Im thinking this is too much work, money, and prone to problems.

sorry, just when I started looking into this same topic, my daughter though the printer needed milk so we had to replace it, I went with a WIFI printer

FWIW, I've had a Linksys print server for about 4 years now. It's worked perfectly since I got it. Sits right next to my wireless router.

I am in the same boat, and am going to purchase a new all in one printer, which offers ethernet and/or wireless. They aren't that expensive anymore, and it's a great time to get a printer which has cheaper cartridges.

I recommend the DLink 1260 Print Server. Not only can you attach up to four USB printers to it, it also works with All-In-One printers so you can scan and print, etc. Most other USB printers only allow you to print, so you potentially make your all-in-one printer a simple printer.

You can use it hardwired or wireless. I've used it both ways, but wireless is easier and there doesn't seem to be any lag or slowness when printer via wireless connection.

It isn't the cheapest print server out there, but it is really nice and one of the only ones that works with all-in-one printers. Definitely recommended.

Personally have 3 laser printers, 1 plain ink jet printer and 1 multifunction printer on the network in the home. None of these are directly connected to any computers but rather just sit on the network thruout the home.

One room in the home is the "office" center. Here I turned a closet into an area which has two printers and office center of sorts. It has a door. I put in addition 120VAC circuits, cat5e cabling, etc in it.

I have a dlink dp301u. It does exactly what it is suppposed to do. You might want to make sure you don't spend too much money on one of these, however, since it might be cheaper (or only slightly more expensive) to buy a new printer with it all built in.

Do you need a wireless router to use one of these wireless printers or can you connect directly to them? I have a frind that has a business and they do not have a router.

I have a dlink dp301u. It does exactly what it is suppposed to do. You might want to make sure you don't spend too much money on one of these, however, since it might be cheaper (or only slightly more expensive) to buy a new printer with it all built in.

Nowadays it's almost cheaper to buy a new printer than buy more ink for the one you have.

I found a refurb dlink for under $30, which puts it in my comfort zone.

How does install take place? With the netgear, I had to either run the wizard (which could never find the thing), or I had to go in and create a printer port pointing to the device (which was also flaky for working). Do I just navigate to the device in the "add a printer" screen and the printer is there?

@Beelzerob

I have a Linksys wired print server still in the shrink-wrap that I'll let go to help out another community member if you want to pay for the shipping. I paid nearly $50 for it a few years ago and ended up not needing it. PM me if you are interested.

Back