Anyone seen a temperature controlled relay?

It is a nifty little device, but it has 1 problem - a narrow temperature band (won't go to 100°F):

temperature range: 41°F to 86°F (5°C to 30°C)

Right, at 86°F the fan would almost always be running considering TiVo and the set-top box are always running... In which case I would be better off just running a fan without a thermostat.

I think I'll do some temperature tests in the cabinet with the doors closed so I have a better idea of what to expect.

You could 'pad' the pot (add or change the value of resistors on either side of the control) and shift the control range.

You can use an Attic Vent Thermostat - The one I got from Lowe's Has a range of 50-120 degrees. I use it in a similar situation, well, similar if you call cooling a communications cabinet at the top of a crane 140 feet over the Caribbean sea similar. :)

I looked for it on Lowe's website but couldn't find it. I paid less than $20 for it and found it in the roofing/attic section of the store. It's in a clear plastic container with a blue cardboard backing. The name on the package is "Power Attic Vent Adjustable Thermostat" Made by Air Vent Inc. The UPC is 0 46388 16343 2.

I've attached a picture of it mounted in the communications cabinet. It's the device in the top middle and it controls a fan on the top-left side.

HTH,
Terry

Attachments

• 100_0642a.JPG
    100_0642a.JPG
    617.7 KB · Views: 58
That's quite a few choices, thanks guys.

Any ideas on which ones would be fairly quiet? In other words which one would not be making a noticeable clicking sound every few minutes while I'm watching a movie, etc? Maybe that's wishful thinking.

I ended up going with a thermally-controlled variable speed pc case fan and a couple 12v transformers. They don't turn off automatically which is what I was looking for, but it turns out that my cable box generates so much heat the fan needs to be running anyways. Antec 120mm Smartcool

I also went to the hardware store and bought some 6in x 6in sheets of rubber and cut out a mounting gasket and home made rubber washers to keep the vibration noise down -- you can't even hear them now.

Back