Anyone using the SETECH ST-EG100-E Ethernet Gateway?

smolino

Is anyone using the SETECH ST-EG100-E Ethernet Gateway for Elk, and if so, what are your experiences?

Limitations?

Thanks

Interesting - hadn't heard of it but it looks like they've attempted to fix some of the limitations of the XEP while retaining most of the compatibility.  I'd be curious - they're explicit about the omnistats; I wonder if that means other thermostats don't work? 

I've heard of it but never saw the need to go 3rd party, though it appears it has a little more development on the HTTPS and applet. Curious as to how the support and ins/outs of the unit function in comparison to an XEP.

Maybe I should pick one up for a bench on my next M1. Cost is more than a normal XEP.

Worktoplay, yea they are really specific on the thermostat so I suspect they only support the omnistat.

It also is limited to only 16 email messages as the XEP is. The Virtual Keypad and email notification reports are interesting, much more descriptive than what is available with the XEP. HTTPS and Secure email is also nice.

Support and continued compatibility would be questions. I may spend the $200 to give it a try.

It looks like they also sell firmware that can be installed in an XEP? I thought the XEP was quite limited in resources and that's why we couldn't get SSL support until the java server was dumped.

Well the XEP definitely leaves room for improvement.  I'd like to see them move away from caring about RP2's 16 message restriction and add in some dynamic text capability, but at that point it's starting to turn into yet another automation controller I suppose. 

May I suggest the following as I have been using this approach for many months.
Get yourself a raspberry pi. ($40) Install postfix on your pi (www.postfix.org) Postfix is very very powerful. Postfix can be configured to deliver to just about ANY email service.
If you are not familiar with Unix it can be a bit challenging. I have been thinking of writing up how to do this as I have seen so many posts of people having issues with their M1XEPs. Also there are many benefits.
1)    Your Pi / postfix will receive the email from your M1XEP and spool it if your Internet connection or ISP or email service is not available.
2)    You can use the pi / postfix to be your outgoing mail relay for various things on your internal network
3)    You can have postfix send to as many email addresses / distro lists as you want.
4)    You can have postfix process all sorts of email rules.
5)    You can turn on mail debugging and troubleshoot email issues.
6)    I have my pi powered by an Altronix with battery backup.
7)    The list goes on and on.

Well the XEP definitely leaves room for improvement.  I'd like to see them move away from caring about RP2's 16 message restriction and add in some dynamic text capability, but at that point it's starting to turn into yet another automation controller I suppose.

This is a good point. If they stray too far from RP2 compatibility it does just become another automation controller, albiet perhaps a more tightly integrated one. I already run Elve to perform some automation/email interface tasks with Elk and I have a custom written vb.net interface to Elk to log events and provide a visual display of zone status on my DVR monitor. I'd love to have most of that functionality in the XEP but that probably won't happen, so maybe I just stick with my add-on controllers.

elkster said:
May I suggest the following as I have been using this approach for many months.
Get yourself a raspberry pi. ($40) Install postfix on your pi (www.postfix.org) Postfix is very very powerful. Postfix can be configured to deliver to just about ANY email service.
If you are not familiar with Unix it can be a bit challenging. I have been thinking of writing up how to do this as I have seen so many posts of people having issues with their M1XEPs. Also there are many benefits.
1)    Your Pi / postfix will receive the email from your M1XEP and spool it if your Internet connection or ISP or email service is not available.
2)    You can use the pi / postfix to be your outgoing mail relay for various things on your internal network
3)    You can have postfix send to as many email addresses / distro lists as you want.
4)    You can have postfix process all sorts of email rules.
5)    You can turn on mail debugging and troubleshoot email issues.
6)    I have my pi powered by an Altronix with battery backup.
7)    The list goes on and on.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just forward the notification e-mail to a Gmail account and create the forwarding rules there? It doesn't have the spooling capabilities if the network is down, but otherwise seems easier for the average user.

One major problem has been up until the latest m1xep firmware that the m1xep has not supported SSL/TLS and therefore would not work with many ISP email services.

Work2Play said:
I run hMailServer in the house just for that reason.  It's on my automation PC.
I've often wondered about doing this (pros and cons).  Also, wondering if my ISP would allow it (but I guess you can get around this via the ports you use?)???

Actually, rethinking this, I would need a 'hard' IP address for the MX record right (as you can't use a dns name)???   EDIT:  Nevermind, you don't need a hard ip, but you do need to make sure port 25 isn't blocked.

Anyone ever follow-through on trying this? 

I'm interested in the HTTPS support, which looks like it gives a website where you can remotely arm/disarm.  This would be nice since I haven't found an app that works with my phone (Windows Phone).  Using a website would allow this to work across devices, but I'm not sure what else it would open up.  M1ToGo has the option of requiring a username / password to connect, plus codes to do the arm/disarm.  I personally like that (two factor authentication, basically) approach, as it would prevent someone from doing a brute force disarming of the system over the internet...I can't tell from their website how the website running on the M1XEP with their firmware works.

On the flip side, it does remove two things: CS Reporting over IP, and Audio system integration.  I'm using CS reporting over IP, so I can't install without messing up the heart of the system. :-S

Sorry BSR - I never saw your comments so I didn't follow up.  It's now been a while since I set up hMailServer - but the short answer is no, you don't need MX records or static IP or even port 25.  In my case, the devices on my network want to talk via port 25 for straight SMTP, but using hMailServer I then relay using TLS over port 587 to my Google Apps mail account then out to the world.  hMailServer handles all the authentication with gmail and the emails send via my "house" email account (I have a domain for the house and family tied to google apps from back when they were free). 

This for me was an easy solution to get rid of all the annoying requirements - hMailServer handles all that while my dumb MFP and Elk just send simple unauthenticated SMTP over port 25 internally.

Thinking of my MFP specifically, it successfully emails using this method out to hotmail, gmail, and my company email accounts without issue.

Back