Apollo 11

pete_c

Guru
[youtube]http://youtu.be/th5A6ZQ28pE[/youtube]

Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that first landed humans on the Moon. Commander Neil Armstrong and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the Apollo Lunar Module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours later on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him 19 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Command module pilot Michael Collins flew the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface at a site they named Tranquility Base before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.

Apollo 11 was launched by a Saturn V rocket from Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, Florida, on July 16 at 13:32 UTC, and was the fifth crewed mission of NASA's Apollo program. The Apollo spacecraft had three parts: a command module (CM) with a cabin for the three astronauts, and the only part that returned to Earth; a service module (SM), which supported the command module with propulsion, electrical power, oxygen, and water; and a lunar module (LM) that had two stages – a descent stage for landing on the Moon, and an ascent stage to place the astronauts back into lunar orbit.

After being sent to the Moon by the Saturn V's third stage, the astronauts separated the spacecraft from it and traveled for three days until they entered lunar orbit. Armstrong and Aldrin then moved into Eagle and landed in the Sea of Tranquility. The astronauts used Eagle's ascent stage to lift off from the lunar surface and rejoin Collins in the command module. They jettisoned Eagle before they performed the maneuvers that propelled the ship out of the last of its 30 lunar orbits on a trajectory back to Earth.[4] They returned to Earth and splashed down in the Pacific Ocean on July 24 after more than eight days in space.

Armstrong's first step onto the lunar surface was broadcast on live TV to a worldwide audience. He described the event as "one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." Apollo 11 effectively ended the Space Race and fulfilled a national goal proposed in 1961 by President John F. Kennedy: "before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth."

[youtube]http://youtu.be/2sEK2Ur2bwI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/xc1SzgGhMKc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/G6A72ufn3l4[/youtube]

I vividly remember being a kid sitting in front of our 19" black and white TV wondering why they heck they didn't just jump out of the lander when the touched down!  It seemed like HOURS before they stepped outside.

Only interest in watching here was grandma and myself.  Sisters / parents did not show any interest. 

Television was a large Sears Silverton color TV console which we mostly played with the colors at the time.

Well and grandma did not believe anything she saw on the television that day.

HqWqazI.gif

I'm not sure to love this or hate this. It's funny as hell except too many folks accuse conspiracy on the moon landing (and other things).

linuxha said:
I'm not sure to love this or hate this. It's funny as hell except too many folks accuse conspiracy on the moon landing (and other things).
I love Buzz Aldrin's suggestion of paying for tickets to let the naysayers go and see for themselves...

ONE WAY TICKETS, that is.

That and his punch 'em in the mouth approach.

It was later admitted they edited the film before playing it to the world. Apparently they didn't say the rehearsed "small step" lines correctly and they had to edit it first.

There were many clues over the years to discredit the "Hollywood production". I found it all amusing watching what the conspiracists came up with.

pete_c said:
Only interest in watching here was grandma and myself.  Sisters / parents did not show any interest. 

Television was a large Sears Silverton color TV console which we mostly played with the colors at the time.

Well and grandma did not believe anything she saw on the television that day.
My wife and I are the same age.  The other day I mentioned how I was glued to the TV for all of the Apollo missions but especially Apollo 11.  She says she *thinks* she saw Armstrong step out onto the moon but wasn't sure.   :eek:

Craig

The Australians who brought footage of the first moon landing to the world

[youtube]http://youtu.be/ZK8wNoIc4Us[/youtube]

pete_c said:
The Australians who brought footage of the first moon landing to the world

[youtube] [/youtube]
 Have you seen the movie "The Dish" about this, funny and pretty good.

I was glued to the TV or listening to my Transistor Radio during this event, Space related stuff was huge back then.
I lived in a small town in Illinois surrounded by cornfields back then, the Apollo mission was the only interesting thing I remember from those years.

Have you seen the movie "The Dish" about this, funny and pretty good.

Yes.  Enjoyed the movie "The Dish".

Grade school science teacher got our class in to model rockets purchasing a few large rockets that we put together during science class in 5th-6th grade (middle 60's)

Multistage and recall them being taller than most of us in class.  That became a hobby for me for a bit purchasing and building small rocket kits from Estes at the time.

We lived in a new subdivision adjacent to some old farms that were still around and I recall smelling onions in the air during the hot summers back then.

Lots of empty spaces to test launch our model rockets at the time.

Television for me then was Star Trek and the Apollo Moon launch. 

Apollo 11 astronaut’s punch

Buzz Aldrin may have been the second man to walk on the moon, but he was the first to knock a troll into outer space.

The famed Apollo astronaut faced possible battery charges back in September 2002 after he was confronted by a moon-landing conspiracy theorist who claimed that his famous moonwalk with Neil Armstrong never happened.

"Why don't you swear on the Bible that you walked on the moon?" Aldrin was asked incessantly by the heckler as he tried to go about his daily business.

The Presidential Medal of Freedom-holder attempts to avoid the escalating confrontation with his increasingly agitated adversary, asking bystanders to help "get this guy out of here."

Undeterred, the unkempt "investigator" has to reassure his clearly disturbed camera crew to "keep rolling" as he continues harassing Aldrin and his associates.

"You're the one who said you walked on the moon when you didn't," the self-proclaimed provocateur continues.

Then 72-year-old Aldrin pleads one last time between the wannabe detective’s stream of spittle for him to "get away," but the camel's back is about to break.

“You're a coward, and a liar, and a <mmmph> thief!" An expert right-hook from Aldrin forces the last word of that sentence back into the mouth from whence it came, and sends his cowardly accuser reeling.

As you might imagine, the man who spent his afternoon harassing an American icon pressed charges against the septuagenarian who “assaulted” him.

Those charges, of course, were dropped a short time later when the LA County District Attorney's office found that the totality of the evidence suggested the encounter was instigated by Aldrin’s so-called victim, and that a jury would be unlikely to declare the legendary Apollo astronaut guilty in court.

Asked recently about the encounter, and the like-minded crackpots who doubt we ever landed on the Moon, Aldrin said in an interview with Fox's Neil Cavuto that "I don't pay any attention to them, really. They're out for themselves to make a name."

I guess his hand was unabled to reach the bible. LOL

I wonder who set up the outside cameras to film the first step onto the moon. I doubt they rode the journey mounted on the outside of the rocketship.

Mailbox cam?

LarrylLix said:
I guess his hand was unabled to reach the bible. LOL

I wonder who set up the outside cameras to film the first step onto the moon. I doubt they rode the journey mounted on the outside of the rocketship.

Mailbox cam?

The camera that caught the first step on the moon was mounted on the outside of the LEM.   It was protected during launch because the LEM itself was inside the body of the rocket, just behind the service module.   Once in space, the LEM was extracted and there was no longer a need to protect the camera or the LEM from anything in the vacuum of space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_TV_camera

Back