[Articles] RIM announces QNX based tablet

CT Droid

CT Bot
playbook.jpg
blackberry.jpg
Research In Motion just announced a tablet called the PlayBook.  It is based on QNX (they recently purchased this company), which is known for its rock solid performance.  QNX was also used on the now defunct 3COM Audrey.  The tablet offers a 7" multi-touch capacitive touch screen, and while its resolution is strange (1200x600), I think this form factor might make it easier to handle (the iPad can be a little difficult to hold sometimes).  It's a very slim and lightweight unit, measuring 5.1" x 7.6" x 0.4" (130mm x 194mm x 10mm) and weighing only 0.9lbs.

The tablet also comes with a micro-USB port and a micro-HDMI port.  While it isn't equipped with a 3G/4G modem, it does offer 802.11a/b/g/n.  Another impressive feature is that it comes with a 3MP forward facing camera, and a 5MP rear facing camera.  The OS supports JAVA, Adobe Flash/AIR, OpenGL and more.  In order to power all that goodness, it comes equipped with a dual-core 1GHz processor, and 1GB of memory.  The unit will be released sometime next year, pricing information is not available yet.

Assuming Adobe Flash performance is very smooth, this might make it a powerful home automation platform.  It's pretty easy to develop very nice looking interfaces in Flash, so I think this has some potential.  What do you guys think?

playbookA.jpg
playbookB.jpg
playbookD.jpg
playbookC.jpg

View the full article

interesting to see how this plays out. there are rumors that this will replace the regular bb phone o/s by version 7.

i also can't seem to find a straight answer on tethering for this device. can i use my regular bb as a hotsport for this device to get on the internet? if so then maybe this thing has a chance (assuming carriers don't try to lock it down somehow with agreement from RIM).

This hardware looks pretty interesting because the hardware *appears* to be in the same class as Apple products, similar specs and much lighter. What I find interesting is that this device might actually allow developers to

1) Develop apps without an approval process.
2) Have unencumbered access to the hardware
3) Use web technologies that look like platforms (flash, AIR etc).

I have heard developers trying to work with Apple and it is pretty crazy that to make an app that talks via RS232 you need to go through an entire Made-For-iPod process and possibly (likely?) EMI testing and Apple approval before you can distribute the application. These roadblocks are in place or enterprise customers who do not want to sell via the app store. Crazy.

If RIM provides an open path toward using their tablet as a hardware connected UI to other 'stuff' (think routers, industrial machinery, lab tools, home automation, etc) I know I will have work using their hardware.

Even droid stuff is lacking in this area (surprisingly), the market is probably too small?

Back