Attic Installation Cellular Wireless & Power Supply?

SteveInNorCal

My little centrally-located wiring closet has two panels, one for communications and one for security (Elk M1). I want to add primary cellular communications and selected the Uplink 4500EZ. From various threads on Uplink, I understand I need a separate power supply for the cellular radio and I need to interface it to the Elk M1 with a serial port expander (Elk M1 XSP).

There's no room for another can in the wiring closet with the XSP, battery, Uplink 4500, an Elk-P624 power supply, and an AC receptacle.

I'd like to mount the can and above cellular components in the attic as this would be the easiest way (by far) to squeeze in the new equipment. The attic is easily accessible, we already use it extensively for storage, and AC is already available, and it is a short run from the XSP to the M1 Gold can in the wiring closet below.

We are in a single story ranch house in the San Fran Bay Area where summer temps will hit a max of 105 a couple times per summer and we may have 10 days total in the 90s. So I'm guessing attic temps near the ceiling sheetrock hit 120 - 140F, but I've never done actual measurements. Winter lows are in the mid- to high-20s a few days per year with normal winter lows in the high 30s to mid 40s. The attic is insulated on the ceiling sheetrock, but the rafters and plywood roof are exposed. The roof material is dark brown asphalt shingles. There are eave vents, gable-end vents, and eyebrow vents in the roof itself.

It's hard to find environmental temperature limits for the Elk components. I'm guessing the 4500 is rated for 120F (a typical upper limit for standard-grade electronics) because the data sheet is silent on this.

What do you think? Am I asking for early failures or random performance problems? Do you have any experience with attic-mounted equipment? Should I give it a try?

Without any specific manufacturers' specs on operating temperatures for these components, it's hard to say for sure.  The Elk M1 operating temperature range is 32 degrees to 120 degrees F according to the manual.  Since the components are similar to those in the XSP, Uplink and P624, those numbers are as good as any to use.

My personal preference is to never install electronics in an attic.  High temperatures may not kill the components immediately, but elevated temperatures, even if below 120 degrees, will shorten the life of any electronics.   And cold temperatures that drop below the dew point invite condensation which can potentially short things out.  Note that the dew point can be significantly above the freezing mark.

How about a location in some other closet, up near the ceiling, even if it is not close to the location where you have the M1?  Seems like running a wire between them shouldn't be too difficult if you have easy access to the attic.

Thanks, RAL. Good thoughts about heat below 120 and condensation -- both will kill reliability.

I'm thinking of copying Wuench's layout at http://www.wuench.com/Security.htm and using two cans, a small one at bottom for power and the big one at the top for the Elk components. That will free up room in the main 38" can for the RS232 expander and the lower 14" can has enough room for the second battery and power supply to drive the radio and other aux loads. Then I'll only need a third small 14" can in the wall up near the ceiling for the radio. I could hold that can down from the ceiling a couple inches and use a remote antenna in the attic connected via coax to radio through a hole in the top-plates.

BTW I do have my CADDX wireless receiver in my attic for several years now.  I put a temp sensor up there too and it easily gets above 120 degrees.  So far it hasn't had any issues, except for the fact I can't conveniently access the training button, but I have only had one sensor that couldn't be trained by the UPC code  It is powered from the main panel though.  I don't think I would put any type of power supply or battery up there.   

Caps on the boards don't like the temp swings...especially cold.

Installing electronics in an unconditioned space is always a poor idea. May not show up immediately, but the issues always show up.

Back