Automate Irrigation System

jmed999

I currently have an ISY and 2 I/O Insteon controllers (http://www.smarthome.com/31270/Smartenit-INSTEON-8-Zone-Sprinkler-Controller/p.aspx) to control my 9 sprinkler zones. I also have an Elk M1G.

I have the climate and irrigation modules with my ISY but the closest weather station is to far away for accurate results.

So I'm looking for another way to save on my irrigation water bill. I'm thinking I should use moisture sensors but not sure how to configure such contraption or what I would need.

Have any of you found a way to use moisture sensors and you ISY systems to automate your irrigation controllers?

Thanks for your help!

Moisture sensors aren't known for long life. Why not just set up a weatherbug weather station?

Here's a link I found with google

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=17236.0

That's my post on the wxforum, lol. The weatherbug weather station would cost about $1000.

D'oh! Didn't notice that.

I don't have the same hardware as you but have looked into where to get data a bit. I figured that some variables (like rainfall) might vary a lot with location and so needed a local sensor. Things like solar radiation would be more uniform over longer distances (I think so, at least for the midwest where it's fairly flat...) so could rely on stations farther away or perhaps average several stations if you are between them. Depending on your system you may not be able to pick and choose data from different sources.

Have a look at the CQC driver that was written to use weather forcasts etc.

Using CQC with the cheap Click PLC ($100) makes for a very powerful irrigation controller and then you also get to use CQC for many other things (like with the M1 you have).

If you can find generic moisture sensors that have a discrete output then you could use them directly inthe PLC or try to get something with an analog output and get the slightly more expensive Click PLC CPU with two analog inputs.

If youa re not afraid of home brew then have a look.

Mick

Back