Automating entry door

ctwilliams

I am still working on a design idea for the entry door into the house from the attached garage. I am planning on using an Elk m1g as the basis of my system along with the associated wireless receiver.

What I would like to do is have this door open without a key based on a keypress from the wireless keyfob or possibly in conjunction with another event such as the garage door being opened.

To acomplish this I would like to install an electric strike plate (such as strike plate) and an electric deadbolt (such as deadbolt). I would have the deadbolt retract and the strike plate release when the door was to be opened and then secure back. In addition I will put a regular deadbolt that would be a backup until I got the system set up or if something ever went horribly wrong.

I guess my question at this point would be more along the lines of is this possible/workable? I am new to this kind of thing and was trying to read the Elk manual to learn about the outputs. I am sure it is just not as simple as hooking these devices up to the outputs.

Has anyone done this or have any thoughts?

Thanks,

CT

Doesn't the strike just release it while voltage is being applied (meaning you have to push it)? This could be problematic if tying it to other events (such as the garage) as it may have to be triggered for awhile. I think you still need to turn the knob so it may imply hands free (one for the keyfob and one to turn the knob and push, although it may remain open long enough if set on a timer to not be a problem to do it one handed).

While CADDX is supposed to be secure, I think many are hesitant to put such a function to a wireless device. Then again you note this is the entry door from the garage to the house.

That being said, you may wish to review page 3 of this document from the elk site:

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1XOVR_Outp...ay_Expander.pdf

If this is due to any other reason other than you just wanting to wirelessly unlock the door, you may want to note that as it may bring up other ideas.

I would assume this tied to a rule based off a wireless keyfob press that is hooked up to the associated wireless reciever may be what you want.

Mike said:
Doesn't the strike just release it while voltage is being applied (meaning you have to push it)? This could be problematic if tying it to other events (such as the garage) as it may have to be triggered for awhile.
I beleive what CT was sayingis that when the garage door is open then the elk rules would let the door open with the caddx...

additional security measure...

Dang,
Do you guys really worry about someone coming in your door connected to the garage? I haven't locked that door in years. We even forget and leave the garage door up from time to time or at least my 16 year old son does. We did lock it once when we went on vacation and forgot we didn't even have a key for the door knob lock. I had to break into my own house. :lol:

If you want something easy and secure I would recommend the RFID solution. Place a RFID tag in your wallet and when you walk up it unlocks. When you leave it locks.

ctwilliams,
It is no problem controlling any dead bolt, door strike, or magnet door holder with the M1. You can program a Rule that will trigger when you press a keyfob button to control the strike.

You will need a relay output such as Output 3 or a relay on the M1RB to control the dead bolt or strike.

If you are using a dead bolt mounted on the door, then you will need a door cord to connect the circuit from the frame to the door.

If you have the technical ability to solder on PC boards, I found a battery powered, wireless controlled deadbolt at a local hardware store for about $99 that had a keyfob to open and close the door. I took the keyfob apart and wired relays from the M1 in place of the push buttons on the keyfob. I then wrote some rules to control the relay outputs that momentarily closed the relays to push the buttons on the keyfob transmitter to open and close the dead bolt. I added a prox card reader to the M1 and was able to arm/disarm the M1 and open and close the dead bolt with a proximity card. The deadbolt has been in service for about two years and continues to work fine.

Rupp said:
Dang,
Do you guys really worry about someone coming in your door connected to the garage? I haven't locked that door in years. We even forget and leave the garage door up from time to time....
I keep my garage door open all the time so UPS can deliver stuff out of the snow and rain. The garage is definitely outside the security perimeter so the connecting door to the house has to stay locked. I never even considered treating the garage as "inside space".

Mike said:
Doesn't the strike just release it while voltage is being applied (meaning you have to push it)? This could be problematic if tying it to other events (such as the garage) as it may have to be triggered for awhile. I think you still need to turn the knob so it may imply hands free (one for the keyfob and one to turn the knob and push, although it may remain open long enough if set on a timer to not be a problem to do it one handed).

That being said, you may wish to review page 3 of this document from the elk site:

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1XOVR_Outp...ay_Expander.pdf
Thanks for that link, that pretty much spells it out. My understanding is that when the strike is activated you can just push the door open without turning the knob.

The only difference is that since these models "lock" when power is applied, I would need to connect to the normally closed output on the M1XOVR instead of the normally open as shown in the diagram.

I assume that this is not a problem (power applied constantly) since the transformer is actually supplying power and not the Elk board.

Yea I'm sure it's what you get used to. We've lived in the same area for 12 years and you get kinda comfortable. We leave our garage door up for the cat and if someone really wanted in they could squeeze under and walk right in. I guess the cameras scare them off.

Back to the topic though....

I really wish the RFID stuff didn't sky rocket in price or this is what I would buy. Doesn't the M1 have an RFID interface?

CT, I've done something similar using an electric strike from Rutherford Controls (RCI) as they're the brand my distributor carries. Here's their site.

The strike can be mechanically set for fail safe or fail open depending on your requirements. I chose fail safe, which means you energize to open. And yes, the lockset on the door remains locked and you simply push open the door when the strike is energized/open.

The current draw was low enough that you can run directly using output 3 of the Elk or use an output expander and relays if necessary.

This was an entry door application and I choose to use an external keypad vs. a physical fob. Since the Elk via an XEP and RP is remotely programmable, I can add users to an installation remotely. This is perfect when you want to add access for family or a vendor, particulary when it is temporary access that you can just erase the user code the next day! No key/fob to collect back or keep track of.

I used an Essex Wiegand keypad hooked into an internal ELK KP's wiegand interface. You'll find the calculator I did to program the Elk's user codes here.

Hmmm... I'm reading double locks that open when you open the garage door? Why even bother with the locks then? It's the same as moving the security perimeter to the garage door. You may as well leave the house door unlocked or use no locks, as apparently many here do.

Or are you saying using the garage door opening as an "enable" to allow another fob press to unlock the house door? Perhaps set up a timed window triggered by the opening of the garage door, during which a second fob can be pressed to unlock the house door... that would be much more secure.

Of for that matter, just have a separate fob for the house door locks altogether. Let UPS into the garage, but not the house.

Just because you have locks and remotes doesn't make it secure if you automate it all to a single event! All that does is make that event the single security trigger.

Back