AVerMedia launches new low-cost HDTV tuner for MCE

electron

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like AVerMedia launched a new HDTV tuner, designed for Windows Media Center 2005. The best part is that it is MUCH cheaper than the other supported HDTV tuners out there, Buy.com has it listed for $77.64. Keep in mind that this is for OTA reception only, but this is a Windows Media Center 2005 restriction. Some details:
  • Support free over-the-air ATSC signal 480p, 720p and 1080i (with wide screen support)
  • Fully Resizable Digital TV Window (up to Full Screen)
  • Signal strength bar indication
  • Parental Channel Lockout
  • S-Video and composite analog video and stereo audio input for uncompress video capture
  • Video capture resolution up to 720 X 480 (NTSC)
  • PCI Interface
  • Fully certified with Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition
AVerTVHD_MCE_A180_2.jpg

Product information (AverMedia website)

From the linked page above (AVerMedia web site):
** Information regarding FCC’s Broadcast Flag Mandate – According to Federal Communication Commission’s Broadcast Flag mandate (MB Docket 02-230) adopted on November 4, 2003, All Digital TV receiver products (like the AVerTVHD MCE A180) built on and after July 1, 2005 are required to obtain Digital Broadcast Content Protection. The mandate does not affect HDTV receiver products manufactured or sold before July 1, 2005. As such, the AVerTVHD MCE A180 will continue to function exactly in the same manner it does today after the July 1, 2005 legislation date.
So, does this mean that it will ignore the broadcast flag after July 1 or does it mean that it already pays attention to it?

From the web site, it looks like it only works with MCE - no software is included. Is this true? Does anyone else support it?

Squintz said:
what is OTA?
Over The Air.

You need to connect an antenna. It will only pick up local channels that are broadcast in HD. It won't do anything with cable or satellite.

I am pretty sure it will ignore the flag. As for other software, I haven't looked up yet which chipset this is, but the two other popular cards out there use the same chipset, so chances are, this one uses that chipset as well. But eventho it is designed for MCE, I wouldn't be surprised if it works with other software (as long as they support HDTV cards).

Squintz, OTA means Over The Air, it means you need a HDTV antenna in order to receive the signal. (edit: looks like smee beat me to it, I am a slow typer today)

electron said:
But eventho it is designed for MCE, I wouldn't be surprised if it works with other software (as long as they support HDTV cards).
Do any Windows-based apps work with HD cards? Other than MCE?

I did some research, doesn't look like any of the other apps support HD, but for some reason I remember reading somewhere that some of the other HD cards (such as the ATI and Fusion) came with their own software, but might be mistaken. I didn't realize that MCE was the only windows platform supporting HD.

Yeah, it looks like the ATI card comes with it's own software. As far as I can tell, Sage and Beyond do not support HD (yet?).

On the ATI page, it's got the same broadcast flag message as the AVerMedia page.
nformation regarding Broadcast Flag legislation – According to FCC’s Broadcast Flag Order (MB Docket 02-230) adopted November 4, 2003, Digital TV receiver products (like the HDTV WONDER) built on and after July 1, 2005 are required to protect certain digital TV broadcasts. The legislation does not affect HDTV receiver products manufactured before July 1, 2005 (or sold any time after). As such, the HDTV WONDER will continue to function exactly in the same manner it does today past the July 1, 2005 legislation date.
It looks like someone used their thesaurus to change a few words. :blink:

:blink: good catch!

I would be surprised if they already implemented support for the broadcast flag, unless they did it during the last hardware design review, and just disabled the feature until it's time to turn it back on.

When I saw the mention on the front page, the broadcast flag question immediately came to mind. Glad smee asked it.

Sure would like to know for sure, I'll jump on this right now if it ignores the flag.

Back