Blink UPB Light from the Elk

elcano

I found how to send an UPB Blink command from one UPB device to another, using a link. But I cannot find how to store the blink at the link level for then activating it from the M1.

Is this possible?

Unfortunately Elk still does not support the blink command or setting fade rates in the XSP. I've asked about this several times but still nothing. Maybe we need to squeek more?????

Can you send an ASCII string? The blink command would look like:
8904196A06251EFFA8
8904 is the control word
19 is the Network ID
6A is the Link ID
06 is the Source ID
25 is the Blink Command
1E is the rate
FF is nothing
A8 is the checksum...

AFAIK, you can't send 'raw' data to the UPB device via the XSP. The ELK XSP does the translation from it's system to UPB. Of course you could change the XSP from UPB mode to raw serial, but you would need to provide the low-level comands for everything (yuck)

They really need to get 'on the ball' with the UPB stuff. There are a couple of functionality gaps in their implementation.

We really need to get query of current status and fade rate added to the M1 UPB capabilities.

It would also be nice not to have to write rules to match your links to keep the Elk up-to-date with the current levels when you use a link.

Later-
Frank

frankr,

I agree. These improvements to UPB make much sense.

After the Simply Automated dealer promo, I have noticed much more momentum on UPB here (vs. the other main two technologies). And I bet this has a cascading effect in UPB market share as we, as either dealers or just 'techno-influents', influence the purchase decisions of other people.

elk-batman.jpg

ROFL, we know what happened last time we saw that!

Edit - you maybe should change that to Don for this one ;)

I'm surprised it can't handle this. It's only a matter of changing a couple digits in the communications string to the UPB PIM.

Can you control your serial output strings? If so, it would be very easy to manipulate and add the blink command manually (at least I think it would be easy based on my limited experience. I added a polling command pretty easily to my HVPro (for times when UPB lights could have been changed without HVPro knowing such as downloading a new schedule to it, etc))

UPBseer said:
Can you send an ASCII string? The blink command would look like:
8904196A06251EFFA8
8904 is the control word
19 is the Network ID
6A is the Link ID
06 is the Source ID
25 is the Blink Command
1E is the rate
FF is nothing
A8 is the checksum...
How do you calculate the checksum? I really could use this blink command right now, so I am willing to give it a try on the Elk M1 platform.

This may not be ideal or even 100% address what you want, but it works as a start. The M1 has a blink built in to Link 64. If you go to UPStart and create Link 64, then assign it to the Receive table of the lights you want to blink. Then go into RP and configure light address 256 as serial expander and on/off.

Now, when ever you turn light address 256 on, any UPB device that has link 64 in its receive table will begin to blink. When you turn light 256 off, they will stop blinking and go off.

An example use for this is to flash all lights during alarm which would a rule as simple as

WHENEVER ANY ALARM
TURN LIGHT 256 ON

Hope it helps...

Back