[Blogs] If the shoe fits - In-Ceiling Speeker Installation and other odds and ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
Well, The Exchange migration went just as planned. Exchange 2010 is happily plugging along in a virtual environment on my lone server at home. No more calling Mom & Dad to restart that server for me.

This past weekend, I had a friend come over and we took the afternoon to install the remaining speekers in the boxes that were pre-installed in our house at build time. All in all we installed 11speekers. 2 in the ensuite, 2 in the master bedroom, 2 in the nursery, 2 in the office, 1 (dual voice coil) in the laundry room and 2 in the kitchen. All I have left now, is 2 in the garage, and then boxes and speekers to install for the deck, and the 6th speeker in the living room. Now begins the process of identifying all the speeker cables downstairs and terminating them into the panel.

There are some other odds and ends I need to clarify too, as I found out yesterday that some people are reading this blog and trying to follow in my footsteps:

1) I guess I forgot to mention that I ditched the Windows XP x64 installation for Premise. I was having far too many problems getting drivers to work and thought a 32 bit operating system would work better. My virtual environments now consist of 2 Server 2008 R2 domain controllers, a Server 2008 R2 Exchange server and a windows xp 32 bit premise machine.

2) I gave up on my patchwork to get my video card to work in Server 2008. In many previous posts I documented how i hacked my way into getting the Nvidia 60800xt video card (which worked flawlessly on Server 2003) to work in server 2008. I thought I had it made with a 6800GT driver but it turns out that there is a hardware limitation I cant get around. I broke down and bought a Saphire HD5550, although I haven't got around to installing it yet.

3) I Finally got around to installing the new breaker in the panel. Now I am no longer piggy-backing off the sump pump breaker. There was a slight potential for disaster there because if the load of the sump pump and the equipment was too much for the breaker and it tripped, then the sump would no longer work allowing for a potential flooding of the basement. I installed a separate breaker for just the HA stuff to use.

Thats it for now. The near future will include finishing up the speeker termination, then hopefully the few packages I am expecting will have arrived. I have ordered a driveway sensor, and Im hoping to have it installed prior to the snow coming (could be any day, both the snow and the package arriving).

I also want to paint one or 2 of my 1-wire temperature sensors to see how much it will effect the thermal sensitivity of them. I have been logging temperatures of 4 sensors in my garage for the last couple of days, so now I am going to paint 2 of them and see how much difference there is between the sensors compared to before. Painting the sensors white will reduce the visibility of them when they get installed permanently.

Also, I have to go up in the attic to fish 3 HDMI cables that I already have, and 2 more Cat 5 cables from the living room to the utility room, so while im up there, I will fish down some cables for humidity/Temperature sensors in the bathrooms. Also, I have the last speeker box in the living room and the 2 over the deck to install, which will include fishing a speeker cable each. Its going to be a long day up and down that ladder.......

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back