Brultech ecm-1240 etherport troubles

bbrally

I've hooked up two ecm-1240's to my computer, one via the rs-232 and the other with the etherport adapter.

I can get data from the rs-232 port, but not with the etherport.

I've tried changing all cables, swapping ecm's, I've tried two different computers, with the network, without the network. Nothing gives me data via the etherport.

Both the EtherX configuration program and the IA program say the ecm is connected, but still no data.

I have the latest software and firmware installed

I've had several e-mail exchanges with Paul at Brultech, but nothing has got it to work. I haven't heard back from him in several days and am now really starting to get frustrated.

My serial settings are 19200, 8N1N and the option tabs are set to zero.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what to try next?

Unfortunately I share a similar experience, both with connectivity issues with the ECM unit and with support from Brultech. I have not heard from Paul since August the 24th when he assured me they would help with the issue I have had since January this year.

Anyway, I don't want to complain in a public forum, and as I am located in New Zealand at the bottom of the world, I have absolutley no leverage with Brultech, so I can only hope you have better luck than I have.

bbrally, welcome to CT!

It looks like the Etherport is just a serial-to-Ethernet adapter, so it shouldn't be too complicated. First thing to verify is connectivity. Are you able to ping the IP address of the Etherport? Can you verify it is located on the same subnet as your other computers?

bbrally, welcome to CT!

It looks like the Etherport is just a serial-to-Ethernet adapter, so it shouldn't be too complicated. First thing to verify is connectivity. Are you able to ping the IP address of the Etherport? Can you verify it is located on the same subnet as your other computers?

I have connectivity. I've gone into the router and pinged the etherport, it reports successful. The router "sees" the etherport and displays it's mac address as being on the network. I've turned off all firewall settings in the router and have no software firewall running. This computer is not connected to the internet.

I've tried connecting the etherport port straight to the computer without the router and manually assigning the ip addresses. I can communicate with the etherport this way as well, just no data.

I thought this would be easier as I've setup some networks in the past, and thought I would have enough familiarity with them to get this running.

I still am still open to the idea that I don't know as much as I think, and I just haven't entered something right, or ticked off the correct box somewhere.

I haven't given up on Paul's help yet, he did try to help with several e-mails for a couple of days. Maybe he's stumped also. Maybe the etherport box is bad?

Brent

I have connectivity. I've gone into the router and pinged the etherport, it reports successful. The router "sees" the etherport and displays it's mac address as being on the network. I've turned off all firewall settings in the router and have no software firewall running. This computer is not connected to the internet.

I've tried connecting the etherport port straight to the computer without the router and manually assigning the ip addresses. I can communicate with the etherport this way as well, just no data.

I thought this would be easier as I've setup some networks in the past, and thought I would have enough familiarity with them to get this running.

I still am still open to the idea that I don't know as much as I think, and I just haven't entered something right, or ticked off the correct box somewhere.

I haven't given up on Paul's help yet, he did try to help with several e-mails for a couple of days. Maybe he's stumped also. Maybe the etherport box is bad?

Brent

You said you swapped things around but have you tried hooking each ECM-1240 directly to a serial port instead of going through the etherport? If that works and you get data, then that may imply that the etherport is bad.

What program are you using to try and read data from the eitherport?

You said you swapped things around but have you tried hooking each ECM-1240 directly to a serial port instead of going through the etherport? If that works and you get data, then that may imply that the etherport is bad.

What program are you using to try and read data from the eitherport?
[/quote]

I have tried both ecm's directly from the serial port and they both work that way. I've only tried using brultech interface application and his EtherX config. After dinner, I'll try tenholder's and see what happens.

I have tried both ecm's directly from the serial port and they both work that way. I've only tried using brultech interface application and his EtherX config. After dinner, I'll try tenholder's and see what happens.
[/quote]

I tried the tenecmserver program last night and I get the ethernet connected message and then the program locks up. I have to use the windows task manager to close the program. I think I made a mistake in ticking the connect on start-up button in the options window and now every time I run the tenserver program it automatically connects to the network and locks up. I've tried un-installing the program and then re-installing it, but the same think happens. And I can no longer get the options window back up to change anything.

But the program does seem to see the etherport, just no data gets transfered.

I just tried bobsplace ecm server and I get data transfer in serial mode but not in network mode. I get a connected to ecm message, but no data.

I just tried bobsplace ecm server and I get data transfer in serial mode but not in network mode. I get a connected to ecm message, but no data.

It really sounds like the etherport is bad. Almost like it isn't able to read from the serial interface side since the network side seems to be working.

I'd try and get it replaced before you spend more time trying to debug it. There might be a couple of things you can try. You could try connecting to the etherport with telnet. From a command prompt, run telnet <etherport_address> <port> and it should connect. If it's working, you should get the binary data displayed in the telnet window updating every second. However, I suspect that this will also show no data just like all the programs you've tried.

It really sounds like the etherport is bad. Almost like it isn't able to read from the serial interface side since the network side seems to be working.

I'd try and get it replaced before you spend more time trying to debug it. There might be a couple of things you can try. You could try connecting to the etherport with telnet. From a command prompt, run telnet <etherport_address> <port> and it should connect. If it's working, you should get the binary data displayed in the telnet window updating every second. However, I suspect that this will also show no data just like all the programs you've tried.

My apologies for the lack of response here. I have been swamped.

It appears that the Etherport device is defective. After assisting in troubleshooting, we have ship him a replacement unit.

Paul

My apologies for the lack of response here. I have been swamped.

It appears that the Etherport device is defective. After assisting in troubleshooting, we have ship him a replacement unit.

Paul

I am having an identical issue. I emailed Brultech; I hope they can resolve.

I have a strange problem with my brultech. I have been using it since August without an issue.

I rebooted my router on Saturday. Today I noticed that the ecm server was not get packets anymore. I checked the ECM and the etherport, they both seem to be functional. Several power offs, and reboots later, nothing seems to resolve it

I tried running the etherx configurator, and it gives the following error.

WIZ1XXSR Configuration too
run-time error '10048'
Address in use
OK

I loaded the etherx configurator on a laptop, and it found the etherport no problem. Confused as to what is blocking me on my main computer. Assume there is something stuck, but I have no idea what to delete or reconfig.

Thanks,
Andrew

I finally got home after being away for work for the past 6 weeks.

The etherport was in the mail as Paul promised. I hooked it up and it immedately starting working perfectly.

Thanks for the help Paul.

Back