Buzzing Switchlinc Fluorescent switch (2385)

I have a Switchlinc Fluorescent switch (2385W) and it emits an annoying buzzing sound when the load is on.

It controls two fluorescent light fixtures equipped with energy-efficient T8 fluorescent tubes and electronic ballasts. Whereas people have complained about buzzing dimmer switches (2380) and/or incandescent lights, this is not the same situation. This is a 2385 switch that turns a load on /off (no dimming, no 2-way).

Has anyone experienced this problem? Does it have a solution?

I have a Switchlinc Fluorescent switch (2385W) and it emits an annoying buzzing sound when the load is on.

It controls two fluorescent light fixtures equipped with energy-efficient T8 fluorescent tubes and electronic ballasts. Whereas people have complained about buzzing dimmer switches (2380) and/or incandescent lights, this is not the same situation. This is a 2385 switch that turns a load on /off (no dimming, no 2-way).

Has anyone experienced this problem? Does it have a solution?

The 2385 is a relay switch right? I would disconnect the load and see if the buzzing stops when you operate the switch with no load. If it buzzes on its own then the switch is bad.

I finally found the time to carry out your suggested test and the switch does not buzz when the load is disconnected. I hesitate to conclude the switch is defective because I have another 2385 controlling two CFLs and it also buzzes.

I bought four used 2385's from a Cocoontech member several months ago and this is the first time I've tried them. The literature claims it "controls fluorescent lights, electronic ballasts, halogen lamps, and low-voltage lighting transformers fluorescent lights and similar inductive loads".

I thought they might be designed exclusively for transformer-based ballasts but they do state "electronic ballasts". I guess I'll test all four devices and see if they all buzz or only the two that I've installed.

I've concluded that the Switchlinc 2385 is not completely happy when controlling a load composed of CFLs or fluorescent lamps with electronic ballasts. The 2385 makes a buzzing sound and the light flickers on start-up.

I have several 2385's on hand and they all buzz when handling CFLs. However, they are silent when controlling incandescent lighting.

I replaced the 2385 with a model 23885, equipped with a relay instead of a triac, and it is silent when handling CFLs and the lights do not flicker.

The 2385s are really very nice switches but I don't agree with the claim that they can control fluorescent lights. They require a neutral wire which makes them rock solid as incandescent switches but I would stick with relays for fluorescent. The relays on the 23885 are not that loud and I really like the paddles on those switches... very crisp. In fact I still have a few left from when I did my changeover to Insteon. Even though I don't use them anymore I have been reluctant to sell them off because they really are some of the nicest X-10 switches I have ever owned.

I would stick with relays for fluorescent. The relays on the 23885 are not that loud and I really like the paddles on those switches... very crisp.

100% in agreement. The 23885 makes a soft, subtle click when engaged (can be marketed as "audible feedback") and is silent when driving the CFLs. The triac-equipped 2385 has been installed on another circuit (in a stairwell), equipped with incandescent lights, and it is now running quietly.

Anyone who buys used X10 switches (like me) should be aware that, despite SmartHome's original claims, the 2385 is best suited for incandescent lighting and not fluorescent.

Hmmm, what to do with the three other 2385's I bought ....

Back